135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've just made my nex tank with these features:

-tank 60x30x30=50 liters
-1x36W PL light
-external filter with a prefilter
-ada soil amazonia as gravel
-co2 plant

this is the tank, it is just filled with water..(sorry for bad quality of the picture)

I was just thinking to put there some red crystal and bees like these in photo
Frank und Carsten's Garnelenhaus Bienengarnele Schwarz-Weiß (K4) Caridina cf. cantonensis 'Biene'

Frank und Carsten's Garnelenhaus Kristallrote Bienengarnele (K2) Caridina cf. cantonensis 'Crystal Red'

Ok, i know that there is a typical ratio for these shrimps, as in a post below (in exampe a ratio of 5:1 )But, my question is.....

Do you think 10 red crystal and 10 bee are too much?Or is it better 10 crystal and 5 bees???What will happen in these cases?
I only want to put these two species in a tank, i dont want to mix them only to improve genes or other stuff (but if it happens is ok for me!!)

ciao!

thank you for reply

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Nice new tank!

The "Ratio" From what I understand is usually like either 1 Diamond for every 4-8 CRS. Why? Its because they don't want it to become a tank with mostly diamonds. Diamond (Black) is the dominate gene and red is the recessive. If you add say 10 of each, eventually after they breed for a while there should be more Diamonds than CRS. MOST people want CRS not diamonds.

So Its really your choice. The whole "good gene" thing I've heard is a bunch of crap. As long as you trade stock with other breeders you should be fine. Over at Shrimpnow.com there is a thread which is quite long that is on this issue.

Hope the tank comes out great!!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Not to hijack, but are "diamonds" the same as "Zebras"? I thought Zebras were the less dominant genetic black/white derivative of CRS. I just started over on my 10 gal shrimp only tank. It now has substrate and palnts and is divided in half. It has Cherries on on side and "Zebras" on the other.

Any thoughts?

Tommy

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not to hijack, but are "diamonds" the same as "Zebras"? I thought Zebras were the less dominant genetic black/white derivative of CRS. I just started over on my 10 gal shrimp only tank. It now has substrate and palnts and is divided in half. It has Cherries on on side and "Zebras" on the other.

Any thoughts?

Tommy
No diamonds are not zebras. They are a different shrimp specie all together. :)

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Looking good! I like the set up. Its much easier having less wood in the tank so if you want to breed and sell it will be easier to catch them. Its going to look even better when your moss grows in.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yep I agree. Unless you got those wierd ones on AB, then those are probably Diamonds. Black Diamonds are also known as bee shrimp, but I'm trying to get the whole "bee" shrimp name out of use here because it gets confusing with bee and bumble bees and stuff..

-Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys..thanks for the compliments:)))

Anyway, i dont understand the "final suggestion" about "how many diamonds and crystal put in":))))
I understand that if i put 10 and 10 is not good...so, in your experience, how i have to do to have a "well mixed" tank???

bye

:)))

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Well if you want the CRS, and Diamonds populations to be about the same you should have more CRS than Diamonds to start off. If you don't care which there is more of eventually you can start off with equal amounts.

So..

Crs - Diamonds

10 - 10 = Eventually there will be more diamonds than CRS
5 - 15 = Always be more Diamonds
15 - 5 = Should be about equal amount down the road, maybe a few more diamonds so more like CRS 12, Diamonds 8...

Its really your choice, I personally would do more Diamonds..

-Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you want the CRS, and Diamonds populations to be about the same you should have more CRS than Diamonds to start off. If you don't care which there is more of eventually you can start off with equal amounts.

So..

Crs - Diamonds

10 - 10 = Eventually there will be more diamonds than CRS
5 - 15 = Always be more Diamonds
15 - 5 = Should be about equal amount down the road, maybe a few more diamonds so more like CRS 12, Diamonds 8...

Its really your choice, I personally would do more Diamonds..

-Andrew
now it's right!!!:)))

Well...i will try 15 crs and 5 diamonds (or similar)....also because that diamond cost 9 euro each!!:)))))

thank you fish..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Does anyone just have a diamond only tank? Where the diamonds can only breed with diamonds? I am just curious. If someone wants all red all the time why would they even put the diamonds in with the red ones? I'm trying to learn.

Also how much does say a A diamond cost in the USA? Are they cheaper then the red ones? Again I am curious :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep I agree. Unless you got those wierd ones on AB, then those are probably Diamonds. Black Diamonds are also known as bee shrimp, but I'm trying to get the whole "bee" shrimp name out of use here because it gets confusing with bee and bumble bees and stuff..

-Andrew

Bees and Diamonds are DEFINITELY different species. I've seen them side-byside. Bee's have no true white, just body color and black stripes.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
OK. What I just bought that were sold as "Zebras" look exactly like CRS only black and white. I just didn't know there was a diffierent name. So maybe if I get lucky when they breed I may end up with some CRS?! Cooool....:icon_cool

Tommy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He means that once your CRS start breeding you will be getting baby diamonds and to keep their population down in the CRS tank you will need to remove them from the tank and put them in another one or sell them.

ok now i understand!!!

so, another question:
you talk about bees diamond etc....

For me these are bee: (and i will buy them)
Frank und Carsten's Garnelenhaus Bienengarnele Schwarz-Weiß (K4) Caridina cf. cantonensis 'Biene'

i dont know the difference from bee to diamonds...For me they0re the same, they are the "biene" specie..Biene is the german name of what you call bee or diamonds....

The bumblebee (real name HUMMEL) is a completely different specie...

So, when i say diamonds i say biene (bee)...

ciao

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bees and Diamonds are DEFINITELY different species. I've seen them side-byside. Bee's have no true white, just body color and black stripes.

Tommy
Bees are low grade diamonds. What you are saying just like saying low grade CRS are different species than high grade CRS. They are all one in the same.

·
Registered
889 Posts
OK. What I just bought that were sold as "Zebras" look exactly like CRS only black and white. I just didn't know there was a diffierent name. So maybe if I get lucky when they breed I may end up with some CRS?! Cooool....:icon_cool

Tommy
No, if you breed Diamonds in a Diamonds ONLY tank then you will only have the black and white species offspring, unless you buy a Diamond that the seller kept in a CRS tank and it has a CRS spermatozoa stored and later gives birth to some CRS (probably very rare though). But either way Diamonds are way cool!!:icon_twis

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.