The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. There are some really impressive shrimp tanks on this site. This is my first attempt at an RCS tank. I used to have blue gouramis in this tank, but move them to another tank to make room for the shrimp. I don't actually have shrimp in there yet, but have some on the way (thanks tundragirl). Any critiques or suggestions? Any general advice for a shrimp newbie?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think your shrimp will LOVE that tank! Nice job! :proud:

I'm still a newbie to planted tanks and shrimp as well (only have had mine for a couple months), but can give you a couple hints. Sorry if you already know these things. :)

Number one ~ be careful of copper. Copper kills shrimp and other invertebrates, so be very careful of using it in your shrimp tank. I've read many threads here where people say that Flourish trace fert with copper in it doesn't hurt shrimp and neither do dry ferts (CSMB + Plantex in particular ~ it contains copper) if used sparingly. I've also read here on the forum that copper can build up over time and cause a die off unexpectedly, so I don't use any ferts in there on any kind of regular basis, just to be on the safe side. I also look on the ingredients list of any food I put in any shrimp tank just to make sure there isn't any copper. I just use easy to grow plants and they do fine.

Two ~ don't freak out if you don't see them for a while after you add them to your tank. I put about fifty in my ten gallon and only saw a dozen or so out at one time for a good while. I still don't see but about half of the adults at one time. I'm having to remind myself of this "advice" ~ just recently got ten yellow shrimp that I promptly put in a ten gallon with a good bit of plants and haven't seen but one or two every now and again since. It's nerve wracking. ;)

Three ~ get ready to do something with the extras. They really will breed like rabbits! So get some breather bags and boxes to ship them after selling them, ask at your LFS if they want to buy/trade them, or plan on feeding some of them to your gouramis.

Good luck! You're going to LOVE them! :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Welcome!

My only suggestion is to move the sword over to one side, it will be outgrowing your tank soon anyways, may be a good idea to get rid of it.

Oh, and add some moss:flick:

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I dose dry ferts in this tank (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, CSM+B) and do a weekly water change to prevent any buildup. I know there is some debate regarding fertilizing shrimp tanks, but I feel it should be OK. The temp is around 76. I keep my nitrates between 5 and 10, phosphate around 1. I tested for ammonia and nitrates prior to putting the shrimp in, and both were at 0. The water is in the medium range for hardness (my tap water is crazy hard, so I mix it with RO water). How does all of this sound?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like it my shrimp should be very happy in there- and yeah don't stress not seeing them. You have a pretty heavily planted tank and you might not see them very often- at least until your population explodes:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.