The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which CO2 system is better?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to this forum and it looks like the best place to ask about CO2 injected tanks.

I currently have a 29G (US) planted tank and I was considering adding CO2 to it. Right now I am working on a DIY CO2 setup to see if things work out. I am going to use two 1gallon plastic containers with 4cups of sugar and 1/4 tablespoon of yeast in each container.

I plan to sometime in the near future add a better quality system and I was wondering which would be best? Pressurized CO2 or an Electric Co2 system?

I also plan to upgrade my 29G tank to a 55G tank in the next 2-3 months, so I need a system that will work well on both tanks.

For some reason, I don't think the electric system will out preform the pressurized system. Just looks to me like the electric can't handle a 55g tank, but I could be wrong. Here is the one I was looking at. Carbo-Plus. I read somewhere that it causes your tank to crash by killing the kH of the tank.

I noticed that both systems are similar priced but someone is selling me used Carbo-Plus for an extremely cheap price. Should I jump on it or save up a bit more money and get a pressurized system?

·
Registered
705 Posts
i was interested in this device awhile agao while looking into Co2 for my 75 gallon i was taliking to a friend a big als who set it up on one of the store tanks... he said he really didint like what it had been producing and reccomended Pressurized as the Carbo Plus Unit didint seem to work very well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well from the looks of it. The Carbo-Plus is pure EVIL! :icon_twis
Thanks for the links guys. I'm sorry as well, next time I'll use the search tools. :icon_wink

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hi leoslizad.
Welcome to the site.
I want you to know this site is one of the best site there is ,with a lot of knowledgeable members who are willing to help .don't feel too bad about not using the search function or asking newbie questions or unwelcome.many new members simply don't know how to use this search function or don't know exactly what to type to get the answers they are looking for and in most cases is not due to laziness,but once you get to know how to use it ,it will become a great tool .
As far as Carbo plus goes ,don't waste your money,buy a good quality co2 regulator and parts and watch your plants grow .
If you are looking for a good place to buy one you could contact REX here: CO2 stuff for sale
Good luck.
Ken.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi leoslizad.
Welcome to the site.
I want you to know this site is one of the best site there is ,with a lot of knowledgeable members who are willing to help .don't feel too bad about not using the search function or asking newbie questions or unwelcome.many new members simply don't know how to use this search function or don't know exactly what to type to get the answers they are looking for and in most cases is not due to laziness,but once you get to know how to use it ,it will become a great tool .
As far as Carbo plus goes ,don't waste your money,buy a good quality co2 regulator and parts and watch your plants grow .
If you are looking for a good place to buy one you could contact REX here: CO2 stuff for sale
Good luck.
Ken.
Thanks Distrbd I was actually already looking on his site. I'm currently reading his guide on planted tanks. Good stuff, has cleared alot of questions I had. :biggrin:

·
Registered
705 Posts
check it out, its pretty interesting i wondered how it worked until the guy told me it uses some procedure to break down like a block of carbon and make carbon dioxide. he said it comes out like a smoke.... pretty cool but not a great system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts