The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what category this should go in, but I figured this is a safe guess. Move it if it's in the wrong spot, please. Anyway...I was told that with a saltwater setup, you never have to change the water. I was told the water goes through an extensive filtration system then back into the tank(I know nothing about saltwater...this is only what I was told). Is there a way that anyone knows of to do this with a freshwater setup? If so, how do I do it? If not, then could it maybe be possible(with a bunch of inventive minds on a forum thread:hihi:)?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
that is not true for either kinds of tanks. saltwater or fresh. you have to change water at some point.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In a low bioload saltwater tank with lots of live rock, it is possible. However, you need to supplement trace, and top-off water. The live rock not only breaks down ammonia all the way to nitrates, the many anerobic pockets break down nitrates into free nitrogen, which escapes the tank. My LFS has a salt water tank (actually the Live rock holding tank) that has not had a water change in over a year (supposedly). It's on a seperate filtration system than the rest of the tanks, with a sump filled with live rock rubble.

EDIT: An interesting idea for freshwater though. What if the intake rate of the plants was found and the dosing set to match it (and adjusted periodically) to maintain proper nutrient levels? Water coming in from water changes contains what? gH, kH, trace, ??? which can all be supplemented. After all, we need to ADD all that stuff to keep it from running out in a heavily planted high growth tank. Hmmmmm ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I assume it's not possible to make a setup that only requires a top off for freshwater tanks? I have to change my water once a week and my nitrates are still always high.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let's put it this way, there are thousands of threads on this forum. How many of them are about minimizing water changes? Even suggestions about doing infrequent wc will normally be frown upon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
at some point you will have to change the water in any kind of fish tank. there are other chemicals in the water that will harm the fish other than ammonia, nitrites and high nitrates. some fish release hormones that are harmful to themselves. like juvenile discus for example. they need frequent water changes because when they are young, they release alot of hormones that can stunt their growth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
w/c's even in the biggest tanks can be fun as long as you're smart enough to use a PYTHON!!! Anyone still using the bucket is in the dark ages. (unless of course it's a 10g)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I use a Python for my 10g. =P Of course I have 6 other tanks to WC at the same time. :D

I recently ruined the threads on the stupid green thing for my Python. Yech.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard a lot about this "python"...what is it and where do I get one? I use a cup and my sink for water changes:hihi: . I also tend to my plants when there's about half the usual amount of water in the tank because I use regular scissors. Is there something easier than reaching into the water? Sorry for being clueless, but I'm really new to plants....especially planted tanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
python is acually a pain in the ass to use..some people use the hot magnum canister filter(dont know why taht particular one) ..hook up the gravel vac tube to the intake tube and the other tube goes to the sink or where ever.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I hate my python! Since you are close Epic, if you want mine, I'll give it to you! You'll just have to wait till I get some money to buy the postage for it.

I'm part "Dark Age" part "Automated". LOL I use tubing and bucket to drain my 55g tank, but then I use my powerhead to pump the clean water back in the tank from my trash can containing my RO/Tap water mixture. Works for me! :) At least if I accidently suck up a shrimp, I can save him! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hate my python! Since you are close Epic, if you want mine, I'll give it to you! You'll just have to wait till I get some money to buy the postage for it.

I'm part "Dark Age" part "Automated". LOL I use tubing and bucket to drain my 55g tank, but then I use my powerhead to pump the clean water back in the tank from my trash can containing my RO/Tap water mixture. Works for me! :) At least if I accidently suck up a shrimp, I can save him! :)
I user the same method on my basement tanks but on my 72 galon Discus tank on the second floor I go fully automated. I bought that tank with a hole in the bottom for a stand-pipe overflow, which I connected to a garden hose that I ran down the heating vent to the bacement laundry tub. I then just pump water up from my mixing barrel each day.

Now I can say that I defenatly like doing water changes on my discus tank. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
you're kidding,....Right?

BkD, seriously... how difficult can a python be? :rolleyes:
I can understand with heavely planted tanks when siphoning the substrate, you certainly dont want to uproot stuff but come on...
What used to take me HOURS with the bucket & tube on my 110g now takes me 20-30 minutes.
Regulating the temp going in is 10x's easier and your day isnt dominated by w/cs when you have MTS like some of us do.

maybe it's because I dont have to use a RO unit and use straight tap
(w/ PRIME of course) :icon_excl

1 - 20 of 56 Posts