The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this is a dumb question, but is there a trick to netting fish?
I'm trying to net 12 glowlights to take back to the LFS and after 30min, I only have 3.... Seriously frustrating.

I only have a small net. Before I run out to get a big one, does anyone have any tips....?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get 2 big nets and corner them.

Keep the nets floating inside for a few hours so the fish see it as a natural part of the tank instead of an immediate threat.

Drain the water as much as you can, less room for them to hide

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
turn off the lights for an hour, they will go to sleep and when you turn on the light they will be slower, get 2 nets and try to corner them.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
get a bigger net. also use your other hand. also legs if necessary. then take a shower and sit down with a cold one.
Sounds like my Friday! Cheers!

Anyone use the "infra red" nets that are supposed to be invisible to fish?
http://www.amazon.com/inch-Infrared-Quick-Penn-Plax/dp/B003UTP8W8
Haha infrared. If it was infrared you wouldn't be able to see it either. I was fully expecting a frame-only "net". Lol.

I have some loaches that are pretty intelligent for a fish, and catching them in a decorated planted tank with a net is pretty much impossible. Have to totally drain the tank and then hope they move so you can see in which cranny they got stuck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tore up quite a few plants netting the last few. I just did a water change last night and didn't really want to drain it again.

Traded the tetras at the LFS for fish food and went to another LFS and got my first discus :icon_smil . Wish me luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
For future reference, the soda bottle method works well for curious fish:

Cut the top off an clean liter bottle straight across at the "shoulder" where it just stops curving. Invert the resulting cone inside the opening and tape it in place. Drop some yummy food in there, fill with tank water, and lay it on its side in the tank. The fish will swim into the opening to find the food but won't be able to escape.

Worked great for my rosy barbs.

Julia

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have some loaches that are pretty intelligent for a fish, and catching them in a decorated planted tank with a net is pretty much impossible. Have to totally drain the tank and then hope they move so you can see in which cranny they got stuck.
I found loaches the easiest to catch. They like to sleep and hide in hollow holes, like bamboo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.