The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought 2 discus for my 90gal planted tank..they look really healthy and the water conditions are good, but all they seem to do is hide behind the same 2 plants all the time, i have had them for 2 weeks now they dont seem to be super excited about food and 1 of them keeps going really dark in color and seems a lil more aggressive than the other one..even tho they are always together, is this normal? i am planning to get more its just they are really exspensive so i will get a couple more each month.

also ocassionally one will turn onto its side while doing some sort of a shimmy dance or something..anyone know what kind of behavior this is ?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You have to list the water parameters here. Is the water soft or hard? What is the kh and gh? Are these adults? What sort of light level you have? Is possible that they may have intestinal parasites if they are not eating at all.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
mine is looking the same way lately, looks like they are either getting beatup or there is some kind of parasite.

what is your water temp? KH and GH isn't very important for discus, believe me you can get away with that, but temp wise you gotta be very careful.

·
Banned
866 Posts
mine is looking the same way lately, looks like they are either getting beatup or there is some kind of parasite.

what is your water temp? KH and GH isn't very important for discus, believe me you can get away with that, but temp wise you gotta be very careful.
Lol whoaa now, kh and gh don't matter? Haha temp is less imortant than water hardness. 80-90 degrees f is a wider span than soft water and hard water. Plus if you have two by themselves that your problem....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
ask this on simplydiscus.com and they will all answer you, you need atleast 5 discus. If you can't afford to buy them all at the same time, save up and buy them later.

Its possible when you would add 2 more next month, they will be terrorized by the the other discus.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Lol whoaa now, kh and gh don't matter? Haha temp is less imortant than water hardness. 80-90 degrees f is a wider span than soft water and hard water. Plus if you have two by themselves that your problem....

Hehehehe...I used to have my Discus thriving in the NYC summer heat. 90F or higher. :)

·
Banned
866 Posts
You are both right, I'm an active member on simply and had wilds and domestics alike... Buy your discus in a group of at least 5 but more is much much better and get them from good source... Not an lfs who sale 2" fish for 70$

·
Registered
3,202 Posts

we keep discus in our tap water here in utah, tap water is very hard 300+ppm in hardness, temp is what the most important IMO beside water changes. i have many friends who keep their discus in hard tap water and fish are healthy and active.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
we keep discus in our tap water here in utah, tap water is very hard 300+ppm in hardness, temp is what the most important IMO beside water changes. i have many friends who keep their discus in hard tap water and fish are healthy and active.

That's unusual and probably a different breed??? Not sure how much the breed has changed since the last time I was still an active Discus keeper, some 8 years ago.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
That's unusual and probably a different breed??? Not sure how much the breed has changed since the last time I was still an active Discus keeper, some 8 years ago.
you name it, lately most breeder keep they baby discus in moderate hard water and they acclimate them to harder water. but we here buy a adult discus which are very adaptable to the hard water, but these are only sold by some store, most of them are carrying which you call straight from the soft water.

8 year is a long time and things are different now, you will argue with me if i say one of my friend keep his blue ram in our hard tap water and they breed and laid eggs and eggs even hatched.

·
Banned
866 Posts
you name it, lately most breeder keep they baby discus in moderate hard water and they acclimate them to harder water. but we here buy a adult discus which are very adaptable to the hard water, but these are only sold by some store, most of them are carrying which you call straight from the soft water.

8 year is a long time and things are different now, you will argue with me if i say one of my friend keep his blue ram in our hard tap water and they breed and laid eggs and eggs even hatched.
When you get a wild such as heckel or altum angel to lay and hatch a spawn in tap water let us know....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Frankly, Discus is Discus. The breed won't mutate and be able to survive in the water condition only suitable for African Cichilds. Putting Discus in hard water, straight out from the tap, is asking for troubles. A totally distressed Discus isn't a pretty sight. FYI, I stopped keeping Discus (manage to get them to spawn too but failed to rear the frys) because it was so much work involved. 50% water change every other days. Feed them with live blood worms. Fortunately, none of them got sick.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree with you here... and I think most experienced discus keeps will also. Read below...

Temperature and frequent water changes are the key to keeping healthy discus. 84-86*F seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've been keeping discus for a few years now and have moved them from SUPER soft water to about neutral water (7.0ph 4-5 gh/kh) and they were not phased at all. Just like happi said, a lot of people keep them in much harder water without any problems at all. Most fish will adjust as long as the water conditions are stable and the temperature range is correct.

Back on topic, I believe your main problem why the discus are skiddish is because you only have 2. You should always keep schoolers in a 5+ school. Discus are known to take a month and sometimes more to completely settle in and not be skittish. I know it took my latest additions about 5 weeks fully settle in and stop running and hiding when I entered the room. Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

·
Banned
866 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with you here... and I think most experienced discus keeps will also. Read below...

Temperature and frequent water changes are the key to keeping healthy discus. 84-86*F seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've been keeping discus for a few years now and have moved them from SUPER soft water to about neutral water (7.0ph 4-5 gh/kh) and they were not phased at all. Just like happi said, a lot of people keep them in much harder water without any problems at all. Most fish will adjust as long as the water conditions are stable and the temperature range is correct.

Back on topic, I believe your main problem why the discus are skiddish is because you only have 2. You should always keep schoolers in a 5+ school. Discus are known to take a month and sometimes more to completely settle in and not be skittish. I know it took my latest additions about 5 weeks fully settle in and stop running and hiding when I entered the room. Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
True. Hell I had my wild greens in tds of 480ppm. They lived but they won't have a successful spawn. Water changes are over rated if you ask me. As someone said in a post above. 50% wc eod is something you do for juvies being fed beefheart as any left overs will rot and ruin water column. Bloodworms have close to nothing for discus other than taste.

I don't see why yours take so long to settle whiskeyd? Domestics or wilds alike shouldn't take more than a week. I had my tefe greens eating from hand after two days off plane.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
True. Hell I had my wild greens in tds of 480ppm. They lived but they won't have a successful spawn. Water changes are over rated if you ask me. As someone said in a post above. 50% wc eod is something you do for juvies being fed beefheart as any left overs will rot and ruin water column. Bloodworms have close to nothing for discus other than taste.

I don't see why yours take so long to settle whiskeyd? Domestics or wilds alike shouldn't take more than a week. I had my tefe greens eating from hand after two days off plane.

Yeah, those Discus poos are nasty and big too...:) Massive water change is one way to reduce the over all nitrates in a non-planted tank. I used to put my hand in there and petting them. They would wiggle their body and brush against my hand too. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay i think having only 2 discus is the problem..they are also still small and in a large tank..i have my temp at 83F so perhaps i will raise it by 1-2 over the next week or so.

i hope its not to late to add more :( if they dont get along im not sure what im gunna do.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Man they are pretty but I got to ask if the beauty of a fish is not only worth this amount of debate but also the work involved. I have never kept discus and I have even shied away from keeping GB rams because my water is liquid rock AND the cleanliness of the water column involved.

To be honest... Is it all really worth it? Water changes every other day, feeding specific food, and worrying all of the time that what you are providing in captivity isn't mimicing the flooded amazon in which they come from. This doesn't seem like a maintenance regiment that can be maintained or I guess what I'm really saying is it seems like the work completely out weighs the benefit by over 100%.

I'm not bashing, just voicing. I'd love to have 'em but I'm not jumping through the hoops and asking everyone how and why they do it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Man they are pretty but I got to ask if the beauty of a fish is not only worth this amount of debate but also the work involved. I have never kept discus and I have even shied away from keeping GB rams because my water is liquid rock AND the cleanliness of the water column involved.

To be honest... Is it all really worth it? Water changes every other day, feeding specific food, and worrying all of the time that what you are providing in captivity isn't mimicing the flooded amazon in which they come from. This doesn't seem like a maintenance regiment that can be maintained or I guess what I'm really saying is it seems like the work completely out weighs the benefit by over 100%.

I'm not bashing, just voicing. I'd love to have 'em but I'm not jumping through the hoops and asking everyone how and why they do it.
If you like challenges, you can't get more challenging than to keep Discus. It is more worked? Not as more work than setting up a planted tank with EI dosing, CO2 injection, and trimming and pruning. Discus is a nice to look at and very colorful with a round body. There are certain appeals to them. I used to keep them using a bare bottom tank. Is cleaner and less disease prone. I really don't remember ever treating them for anything. Unfortunately, they didn't grow quite as big.

From what I read so far, you should only keep adult Discus in a planted tank. Juveniles in a bare bottom one to promote frequent feeding and water changes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm not going to lie I would LOVE to keep them. My planted tank is my crown jewel in my house and a small school of discus would be the cherry on top but I just can't go through all of the cleaning. I like a little grunge in my tank. I believe a degree of it is healthy. I'm not saying don't do maintenance. I do a 50% WC a week with gravel cleaning and I do my canisters monthly but with the amount of tanks I have I just can't dedicate the time.

So for those of you that have the time to keep discus and keep them properly you drive on! There are those of us that want to but are too lazy and don't have the time. eheh

·
Banned
866 Posts
I'm not going to lie I would LOVE to keep them. My planted tank is my crown jewel in my house and a small school of discus would be the cherry on top but I just can't go through all of the cleaning. I like a little grunge in my tank. I believe a degree of it is healthy. I'm not saying don't do maintenance. I do a 50% WC a week with gravel cleaning and I do my canisters monthly but with the amount of tanks I have I just can't dedicate the time.

So for those of you that have the time to keep discus and keep them properly you drive on! There are those of us that want to but are too lazy and don't have the time. eheh
Lol 50% a week is plenty for adult discus.... It's the juvies and breeding that take time and a lot of maintenance

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.