The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Cause I just counted 8 in my tank (that I can see), but I only have 7. Wha?!!!:confused1:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you have a photo? On occasion I hear reports that Olive nerites reproducing, but they usually end up being bladder snails. Let us know if you find more!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are all orange tiger nerites...no mistaking them for anything else. Odd thing is that the vast majority of my little bladder snails all croaked. No clue what took them all out, though I did catch my late CPO pulling a few out of their shells (not even sure he ate them, I think he was just a dick).

·
Registered
190 Posts
From what i understand nerites eggs need brackish water to be able to hatch. Then those newly hatched larva snails need full salt water before turning into tiny nerites which then return to their brackish waters.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long ago did you buy them?
About 8 months ago.

Bump:
From what i understand nerites eggs need brackish water to be able to hatch. Then those newly hatched larva snails need full salt water before turning into tiny nerites which then return to their brackish waters.
That's what I thought and why I'm so perplexed!

Bump:
I absolutley hate the eggs my nerites put on my drift wood wish i knew before hand
Yeah, my mopani wood is covered in little white specks, too.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Did you buy the nerites on line? If so, maybe the seller included one extra in case of DOA and you did not count them prior to putting the snails in your tank. Maybe there were 8 all along. I know when I sell snails and shrimp I always add a couple more to the bag. In the long run that is cheaper than replacing a DOA and paying for shipping a second time.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Did you buy the nerites on line? If so, maybe the seller included one extra in case of DOA and you did not count them prior to putting the snails in your tank. Maybe there were 8 all along. I know when I sell snails and shrimp I always add a couple more to the bag. In the long run that is cheaper than replacing a DOA and paying for shipping a second time.
This is kind of where I was headed with my question. With the shape of the shell and the color pattern, there may have been a juvenile specimen that "piggy-backed" in while attached to a larger one. I've had it happen a couple of times.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, bought exactly 7 mature snails at the LFS. I'm totally scratching my head.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would rather suspect human error than miscarriage of nature's laws.

Miscount - Piggyback - Oversight ................ who knows????????????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts