The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you already know. I work at a LFS.

We have loads of Nerite snails for salt water aquariums but only carry apple snails or "mystery snails" for freshwater.

I've read somewhere online a while back that Nerite's are found spanning fresh to salt water. So I grabbed a handful of Nerite and slowly acclimated them to fresh.

I did it extremely slow. at about 1 drop every 5 seconds. Over the span of 10 hours I measured the salinity with a refractometer. At closing time i was at 1.001. That's .001 point away from being in fully fresh. They were still cruising around the container as if nothing happened. I added a small bit of algae wafer and they jumped right on it.

So I supposed that it is true. Nerites found for salt water aquariums can be acclimated over to fresh. I will definitely try a few other snails and see the results... :proud:

Just got off work now. So I left the drip going and placed a net over the container as to not allow them to climb out. Will post further results tomorrow as well as pictures if I remember to snap some

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The species we had in the shop at the time is Nerita funiculata. They were still very responsive at the end of closing time so I have high hopes. They don't seem distress at all and was cruising around the container just as how they were in salt water. The water they are being acclimated into is of completely different chemistry. Since we keep are salt water inverts on a separate system which also contains corals - trace and nutrient additive is always present. The water being acclimated to is of treated tap water and ro-di at a 1:1 ratio. Ph is 6.8 other parameters I have forgot. Will post parameters tomorrow.

I will see if we can get in other species as well if this works out.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I only have freshwater tanks and I keep em. For me, the reason they died was CO2 eroding the shells. As soon as I started giving them cuttlefish bone, it stopped being a problem. Do you have a picture of the kind you have in the shop? I wonder if they are different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the snails are successfully acclimated to freshwater. I have some pictures and will upload this evening. Gonna do a batch run next time of about 20 snails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.