The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to snail keeping, I have a question. Why do some of my olive Nerites......um....."ride" each other (no pun intented). Are they, as the kids say today, getting their swerve on :hihi: ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NICE! Lazy, sex crazed algea eaters. My kind of people! By the way, thanks to both of you for the advice on my CO2 thread. I posted something else there. Take a look.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Like stated, it is either one of those two options (eating algae off the shell or mating). If mating, they'll likely stay in that position for quite some time, which is quite annoying since then you only have one Nerite doing the algae eating work instead of two. :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Like stated, it is either one of those two options (eating algae off the shell or mating). If mating, they'll likely stay in that position for quite some time, which is quite annoying since then you only have one Nerite doing the algae eating work instead of two. :)
Since the eggs don't hatch in freshwater, you won't get more to help with the work either. :icon_roll

·
Registered
573 Posts
Actually, the eggs do hatch but the larva don't survive. Wilma (she sells nerites online) says she breeds these in freshwater, meaning the larva survive somehow. However I would assume they have a planktonic stage, and thick greenwater is required for the larva's survival.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts