The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to get a Nerite snail for my 5 gallon nano planted aquarium. Should the tank have Seachem Prime added like you would when adding a fish? Or is it dangerous to snails?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have added that I use Reverse Osmosis water. :D

Good to know that Prime doesn't harm invertebrates. I'll keep that in mind if I have to use tap water at some point.

· Registered
542 Posts
I don't believe any of the water conditioners marketed by the major aquatic supply companies contain anything that could harm any aquatic plant or animal you might keep in your aquarium. But if you're planning on adding a Nerite snail to your aquarium, be prepared for the white spots (Nerite eggs) all over your aquascape. I had three at one time and regretted adding them when the eggs began to appear on my dark driftwood; I find it very distracting and unappealing. I don't think I would mind it as much if there was a chance of them hatching and growing, but since I don't have a brackish water tank, there's no chance of that. However, although I'm not positive, I don't think that Nerite snails are hermephrodites, or if they are, I suspect they need to be fertilized by a second Nerite before they can lay eggs, because now that I am down to just one Nerite, I have seen no more eggs, indicating to me that I either have a male, or else (hermephroditic or not) they need to mate with a second snail before they can lay eggs. So maybe you won't have that problem with just one Nerite snail, but perhaps someone else knows more about them and can elaborate.

Olskule

· Registered
2,947 Posts
If you are lucky you will have a male nerite. I don't think they're hemaphrodites, and the females will lay eggs even if no male is around. None of them will hatch in freshwater though, they just look unsightly. I don't know of any way to tell if one is male or female, unless it is leaving eggs everywhere.

· Premium Member
833 Posts
I have 6 nerites in my tank, 2 of which are females. I've seen them mate at times, so you will need a male/female pair for that to occur. Even then, they don't lay eggs very often unless there is a alot of algae around. As they age, they almost seem to quit laying them altogether. The eggs aren't that big of a deal to me. The only eggs that hang around any length of time are the ones stuck to the back glass. The ones that get laid on rocks or wood always seem to disintegrate after a few weeks, leaving a faint white 'ring'. A few more weeks and they're gone completely. My olive nerite is the most active egg layer. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or if they are just more horny than the other nerites.

· Banned
1,300 Posts
But if you're planning on adding a Nerite snail to your aquarium, be prepared for the white spots (Nerite eggs) all over your aquascape.
If each of your neuritis has a different color pattern on the shell you might not get any ages. At least that has been my experience. When I first got Nerites I had eggs all the time. Now that I don't add multiple neuritis with the same color pattern on the shell I have no eggs.

Note I use 100% RO water and I don't use water conditioners. I just add a GH booster and fertilizer.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nerite snails are either male or female. I only have one and there has been no egg laying, so I think I lucked out and got a male. Yay!

Interesting about the potential problems with fertilizers. I have ferts for the plants in my low-tech nano tank and have used it twice now in small doses. No bad response from the Nerite or the two Amano shrimp. They are cruising around and eating like normal.

· Registered
542 Posts
If each of your neuritis has a different color pattern on the shell you might not get any ages. At least that has been my experience. When I first got Nerites I had eggs all the time. Now that I don't add multiple neuritis with the same color pattern on the shell I have no eggs...
I didn't know that, but I'll keep it in mind. I like Nerites, just not the eggs everywhere, so I guess I'll get a tiger and an olive to add to the zebra in my tank and I should be good to go, with no unsightly eggs.

Thanks for the info!

Olskule

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting about different shell nerites won't start mating and producing eggs. I haven't heard that one before.

Now to find 1 Racer Nerite. Every place I've seen sells them in multiples, and I only want 1 more. :p

· Premium Member
833 Posts
I don't know if that's true. I've seen my tomato nerite ( orange tire track) mating with my zebra nerite, many times. At least, it sure looked like that's what they were doing.
Same here. My tiger likes to mate with both my olive and black racer females. Whether or not they can successfully crossbreed is another question. I don't have brackish water tanks, so I can't confirm.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are using just RO, you'll need to add some minerals back in :)
What is a good way to add the minerals back to Reverse Osmosis water? I have fertilizers for my plants, but I'm guessing you may mean something different?

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I intend to get a Nerite snail for my 5 gallon nano planted aquarium. Should the tank have Seachem Prime added like you would when adding a fish? Or is it dangerous to snails?
All of the water conditioner products are using some version of complexed hydrosulfite salts and won't hurt your snails.
I'm not a big fan of buying 99% high priced water in fancy little bottles so I buy it in bulk powder form myself.

Like others have said if your using R/O then skip the conditioners and just dose back the elements you need. Buy them in bulk powder form it's allot cheaper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.