The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have read about people repairing this in different ways. I have 2 large olives and both had this. When the pitting started looking worse, like going deeper in the shell I decided to try to fix it. I wouldn't fix it unless it's getting worse because I was worried about hurting the snails.

Be careful as I only tried this on 2 snails-it's kind of tricky and your mileage may vary.
I put the snail in a container with 1/4" tank water so the shell was out of the water and wiped the shell dry with a paper towel, let it dry a few minutes, then I broke up a clean egg shell to about the right size. I glued it on with the Seachem flourish glue to cover the main pitted area. I was very careful to not get glue anywhere else and not use too much. I did almost glue a snail to my hand but luckily glue wasn't dry yet. So far it has held up 3 months. The snails are active & appear healthy. Though they noticeably have egg shell glued on their shell. I have pretty hard water 7.8 pH, I provide extra calcium & use Kents Iodide 1 drop/5-10 gals weekly-my nerites shell still got worse. Once the initial damage is done in the store/shipping I doesn't grow back. I just don't want the shell to wear away to the point it kills a snail. In my experience it takes a long time to wear down. I had my snails for almost 2 years before I did the repair, they both came with small pits in the shell.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.