The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nerite question

1125 3
Hey guys,

Debating whether to get some nerites to help with the brown algae in my 2 month old tank.
The thing is, i have a lot of 'skinny' plants that i feel the nerite wont be able to climb on (Stem plants and vals) . . Will the nerite be able to get on them? Are they too heavy or too big to climb the plants ?

Specs :

-15 gallon with only one betta
pH 8.0
KH 8 degrees
temp: 77 F
plants : Ludwigia repens, Red tiger lotus, Italian val, Corkscrew val, hygrophila kompact, hygrophila angustofolia, nomaphila siamensis,crypt wendtii, onion plant, Apongeton ulvaceus, hornwort, water wisteria
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
The big zebra nerites will be a bit too heavy to climb on the stem plants and will generally stick to sturdy plants and flat surfaces that can support their weight. There are options for smaller nerite species such as as the beautiful horned variety. However, I have no experience with these, so I have no idea how nimble they would be on your Val's and stem plants or if they would just avoid them like their bigger cousins.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My tracked nerites only climb on my anubias and that's about it.

They are too heavy to go on: crypt wendtii, hygro angustafolia, alternanthera reineckii, rotala rotundafolia, myriophyllum mattogrossense or hemianthus glomeratus. Occasionally I find them cleaning leaves that are laying against the glass, substrate or hardscape.

Perhaps the smaller thorn nerites could climb some plants, but I don't have any of those.

I have red ramshorns to get onto the plant leaves. Their ability to float makes getting onto flimsy plants an easy job for them. That said, some keepers are afraid of their reproductive abilities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.