The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three Nerites in my paludarium and their eggs are EVERYWHERE. Getting rid of the perpetrators will take care of the future, but what about all the eggs that are already cemented onto all my hardscape. How much salt is required to get an egg to hatch? Is it possible to add enough aquarium salt to get the eggs to hatch without hurting my fish and shrimp?

In an ideal world, I would be able to add salt, have the eggs hatch, do a RAOK and get rid of all the white spots in my tank. Rarely does the world work that though.

I'm gonna guess that this isn't going to work by any stretch of the imagination, but I figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not going to work. The salt needed for the eggs would harm your shrimp/fish.

They also are not going to go away. That's my one problem with Nerite snails. Either you get used to the eggs, or you spend many, many hours trying to remove them. (and in my case, failing miserably)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not going to work. The salt needed for the eggs would harm your shrimp/fish.

They also are not going to go away. That's my one problem with Nerite snails. Either you get used to the eggs, or you spend many, many hours trying to remove them. (and in my case, failing miserably)
Ugh, that's what I figured. Anyone want to trade a female zebra and tiger Nerite for males? :)

great so thats what all these darn little white spots are all over my drift wood and glass...and really that much of a pain to clean/scrape off??

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Give up. You will destroy any wood object, tear silicone and go mental on pea gravel.
Nothing to do but wait eons and let the shrimp and bottom feeders get after it.
Of course during this time there will be many more laid.
Curse of the Nerites. But that or algae I choose the eggs.

Bump:
great so thats what all these darn little white spots are all over my drift wood and glass...and really that much of a pain to clean/scrape off??
Straight glass razor blade should do the trick.
Just don't use the double sided ones or you might be missing a few fingers lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
It will take a looooong time but they eventually start to dissolve. Also, shrimp will pick at them when they start to loosen up.
I had the same eggs in a tank for YEARS and they never changed an iota. Maybe your water was harder on the eggs than mine was, but no snail, fish, pleco, or shrimp ever made any progress on those things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.