The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased on Monday a apex unit to automate my planted tank and unite everything to be controlled by my tablet and galaxy 6s only to find that today they launched a brand new Apex with a lot more features at a much larger price, go figure! However, to kick me in the nuts even more they have discounted the "classic" Apex by $75 at bulkreefsupply.com. If you were looking into it GO GET IT!!!

For those that do have it and also are using BuildMyLed lights how did you connect the dimmer to the V1/V3 and V2/V4 ports? I have read that you can get an ethernet cable and hard wire it to a 3.5mm auxilary jack (headphone jack) and it will work. I would rather not have to spend a lot of time doing this, but has anyone done this? are there specific instructions around the net about effectively doing this? Please Help!!

Slainte!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unfortunately the best place for specific instructions was the buildmyled forum, which is gone. They also used to sell a cable for connecting BMLs to Apex. I would try to contact BML and see if they still have any of the cables to sell or if they will just send you the pin-out for the BML connection. The pin-out for the Apex is covered in the Apex manual (page 131 in the version I have).

-Justin

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the best place for specific instructions was the buildmyled forum, which is gone. They also used to sell a cable for connecting BMLs to Apex. I would try to contact BML and see if they still have any of the cables to sell or if they will just send you the pin-out for the BML connection. The pin-out for the Apex is covered in the Apex manual (page 131 in the version I have).

-Justin
Justin, thanks for the info, I have seen many references to the cable you speak of but since they have closed their water shop all leads are for this are dead. I sent BML an email about this and they just said a normal 3.5mm jack can be connected to the dimmer wire from the balast and it will work. I have never wired a 3.5mm plug but I assume there are only 2 wires, positive and negative... fingers crossed! But thank you for the info, I will figure it out once it arrives... stupid UPS delays...

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.