The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I fell in love with shrimp pretty much the same way. Got a few as a little diversity in my tanks and wound up enjoying them more than the fish. The good news is, Neos are hardy and pretty undemanding. This isn't the case when you get into some of the bees and other Caridina shrimp.

I’m wanting to get a RO/DI unit for the sake of consistency in water changes and across tanks. My question is, for Neos only, how important is an RI vs an RI/DO? I don’t know yet what the exact TDS of my tap is yet, but I know it’s off the charts pH, and it’s hard water. My thinking is that if my goal is consistency, then getting the DI is a good idea, even if the Neos don’t absolutely need it. Would you agree with me on that?
I run an RO/DI filter simply because I had already bought one when keeping reef tanks. I don't feel the DI is necessary and lots of shrimp keepers use just RO water with great results. If you'd post the KH, GH, and TDS of your tap you may not even need RO though. I don't use it in Neo only tanks, but I have soft neutral tap that they do well in. Also if you have source water that varies at different times of year, RO may be helpful even if your water is usually on point.

2.) While waiting for my RO/RODI unit to arrive, can I use distilled water for water changes in the meantime, assuming I add a remineralizer?
I would think so. I've heard people say that water distilled in copper can cause problems but I don't think much sold is stores is distilled that way any longer.

3.) How much do you think a single piece of cholla wood would affect the pH of a 10 gallon, assuming it has been boiled first?
Very little, I'd think. A lot would have to do with the KH of said water though.

4.) How long does it take pH to stabilize? For example, if tap water of 8.5 pH was added to a tank with drift wood, active substrate, etc., and had a stable pH of 7.4...how long until any swings would have stopped and stabilized after the tap was added?
That's rather impossible to answer. There are a lot of things that would influence that. Active substrate is going to pull KH out of the water but the answer to your question is going to depend on how much substrate there is, how much water volume, and what the KH of this water is. As well as exactly how active the substrate is -it loses power (so to speak) over time and some brands and batches seem to be more and less active from reading other's reports.

Hope that is of some help and welcome to the forums!

· snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
I'm surprised that tap with a KH of 3 would be off the chart alkaline. Degassed is the value you want to pay attention to though. I've never had pH not raise after degassing, and hardness levels stay put in my own tap so this is above my level of water chemistry understanding. Maybe one of our resident chemistry experts can teach us both something. @DaveKS @Deanna @Greggz any thoughts here?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.