The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!
I forgot my password and just registered again! Ughh...
Sharing experience:
I have small number of yellow and blue pearl neos, 5 each, in my 5g tank, going well and breeding, until I added a colony of 15 crs over a period of 2 weeks, not at a single time.
After that, The minor population of neos begin to die on me everyday. That's really sad. Even the berried ones. My heart sank. Ouch.
I guess adding in too many crs does stress the smaller population out. The crs are doing well so far. In fact more active than the neos.
Sounds strange, but I just wanted to share and wondered if anyone had the same experience?
I won't be adding more neos for now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reckoned that too, Chris. Maybe the CRS brought something back into my waters that the neos didn't like.
But the crs are well so far...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
neo's dont tend to do well for long in crs parameters. can you please list all parameters of the tank that will help figure out what went wrong

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tested yet but will be getting kits soon. It's rather expensive here. Crystals are more sensitive so if my crystals are ok, I thought my water shouldn't be giving way.
Of course, that shouldn't be the way to judge my water parameters, I know.
I did notice the crystals were chasing neos around sometimes. The crystals were somehow more active and some neos started to hide more.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Each shrimp bring in their own bacteria from their tanks. Sometimes shrimp are okay with new bacteria added, sometimes they are not. In this case, this could be the answer since they were doing well before crs introduction.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each shrimp bring in their own bacteria from their tanks. Sometimes shrimp are okay with new bacteria added, sometimes they are not. In this case, this could be the answer since they were doing well before crs introduction.
Thank you. This should be the case. Nothing changed in my tank, except I did some minor rescaping by moving things around. I may have caused an ammonia spike, but then again, the crs are not dying. Only neos.
I had around 5 neo casulties in 4-5 days. This is serious man.
Lesson learnt: not to introduce too many shrimps within a short period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts