The Planted Tank Forum banner

Neons Spawning?

1194 6
So my Neon Tetras just started spawning really randomly, and it looks like it got my Green Neon Tetras are spawning, too. I've never had fish spawn before. Is there anything in particular I have to do? My tank is only semi planted, but I have some Java Moss hanging out near the bottom in a clump that some of the eggs are falling into.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tetras typically spawn at first light in the morning, so if you don't catch them in the act, you'll notice that a fat female just slimmed down over night. If you don't have a bare bottom tank with an egg trap/net, it will be very difficult to otherwise know if eggs were laid. A separate breeding tank is best. The parents will eat the eggs/fry for most species, so juvie survival in even a species only tank is highly unlikely, that's the need for separation of the parents and eggs.

Tetras are not so difficult to breed, but there are several time critical steps that need to be taken in order to be a successful breeder. The major things to pay attention to are: Quality of stock, Maturation, Separation of Sexes, Conditioning, Separation of Parents from Eggs (specialized breeding tank), RO/Soft Water, Darkness (light sensitive eggs), & first foods (microworms then live BBS) without overfeeding.

All of the info is searchable on the web (and this site by me) on how to breed Neon Tetras which really isn't any different than breeding most Tetras IMO (I've bred 19 species of Tetras).

So if you have hard water, forget it, the eggs won't hatch. If this is a community tank, forget it, the eggs/fry will get eaten. No softwater, forget it, the eggs won't hatch. No breeding tank, forget it, nom nom nom. No darkness, forget it, fungused eggs. No live foods, forget it, fry starvation.

One exception I suggest to you is the Emporer Tetra in a species only heavily planted tank. Mine bred in hard water to boot (ph ~7.6) and didn't eat the young.

Tetras take an ambitious breeder who will dedicate daily involvement and attention to be successful.

I'm just trying to inform you rather than discourage you from breeding Tetras. Tetras are my favorite family of fish to breed.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Rob

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much Rob! That was really informative.
I'm not sure if I'd want to breed them yet, but I was so shocked to see it happening in the first place I thought I'd hop on here and ask. I think it would be really interesting to breed them in the future, especially the Green Neons.

I have at least one female and two males, and a younger tetra that doesn't seem interested yet. The Green Neons are still too young, I think they might have been more interested in getting free food.

I'm not really sure what started the spawning. The light had already been on for a couple hours, and I had just put in some plant fertilizer. The only thing I could think of was it changed the pH level temporarily.

strangewaters - They swim side by side with tails rapid fin movements, and I saw a few eggs drop from the female. They loved it when I put in the Java moss, the male and female would hide in there to do the deed. All of their colors became VERY vibrant, even compared to normal, including my green neons and cloud minnows.

dodgerblew - it looks like they were all eaten or didn't hatch, because of the reason Rob posted above (light, water quality, community fish) I did a vacuum today and cleaned up some fungus that was either old food or eggs.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Once in a while you get lucky and a tetra fry might survive here and there with no intervention. I've had one Kerri tetra fry appear in a 20 long tank with 7 adult kerris, a bunch of black neons, some cories and lots of RCS.

In my 40B I have 2 silver dollars, 4 emperor tetras, a few glowlight tetras, a few zebra danios, 5 cories and a BNP. I added 7 diamond tetras and I now have 11. A single diamond tetra fry would appear now and then, a month or two apart from the other. And this tank has all silk plants (because of the SD's) with one anubias. So they sometimes find someplace to hide and something to eat until they're large enough to join the adults.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.