The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
are they jumpers? asking because i have 3 jumped out and die 1 fish per week so far... i do have acrylic cover but not using cause afraid it may filter out the light.. what may be the cause of this. thanks..

tank is 36"x16"x15" been up and running over 3 months, plants 1-2 months, fishes 1+ month (20 neon tetras now only 17) 12 fancy guppies plus babies.. a dozen rcs.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yes. Most tetras like to jump. Hell, most fish will jump if you scare them good!

there is really no solution to this other then more tank space / hiding spots so they dont feel like the have to jump to escape perceived danger, removing aggressive fish that may be chasing them, or adding a lid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-more tank space
= a 40 gal tank should be big enough for the live stock that listed? no?

-more hiding spots
= there are plenty of plants, some are all the way to the surface.

-removing aggressive fish that may be chasing them
= guppies, ottos, shrimps aggressive?

AFTER some search i found out that they do jump during spawning mode. but that just google on the net...

i don't mine go get more of them to restock but hating the idea of them jump to their death and quarantine them for weeks.

I don't want the acrylic cover because its 1/2" thick and with the condensation over night it will reduces the lighting to the plants.(the light are 12" from the cover so the condensation will be there for like hours...)

i do have some fogbits cover 1/4 of the surface. maybe i should let them cover more..

Or get just have to live with the face that they will.... :mad:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
These were just suggestions, none of use knew much about your tank other then the initial size, so we are starting with the basics.

Letting the frogsbit cover the top will block out WAY more light then using the lid. You can also make a thin lid or use a mesh/screen top.

Their many other things you can check or do to help decrease jumpers, including water quality.

If you have the basics covered, figure out a cover option. Whether its floaters or a physical barrier, its up to you.

Good luck.

·
Banned
934 Posts
I have a few fire ring danios that would always jump out of my tank. My solution was to first put on a tight fitting cover. That eventually drove me crazy I love having an open top tank. Next I tried something most people don't really mention. Which was getting a powerhead and having it create a lot of current at the top of the tank (1050gph in my case on a 120 gallon). I have not had one jumper since. I also have come to love the additional flow.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It could always be worse - my mom has a bala shark in a 29gallon tank that barely fits and which jumps like crazy any time you mess with the tank.

Fortunately it splashes so much water on you that no one can notice if you peed your pants when it surprised you and popped the surface of the water. ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If you think the condensation is going to reduce your light too much, take out some frogbits and/or increase the photo period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.