The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video shows my new school of neon tetras in my aquascape reacting to my aquarium light. After I noticed them hanging out in the corners I originally thought they were reacting to CO2 levels but this video shows they are swimming happily until the light comes on, despite having the CO2 system on for two hours prior. Will they get used to the light or do I need to make changes? I don't want to go much lower on the light level for the plants. Aquarium has been going for 8 months, I previously had 6 neon tetras that did just fine but since I increased the count to 20 they are behaving differently. This is about a week since I acclimated them.

Light: Fluval Plant 3.0 800mm at about 30% power
C02 drop checker showing dark green
Filter: Fluval 407 cannister filter
Aquarium: Tideline 90L 100cm X 30cm X 30cm low-iron

My tank journal:
Iwagumi Inspired 24 Gallon Long Tank - First Time Scaper

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have about 12 neons actively swimming in the center of the tank, where there is no shade, under 120 PAR at the substrate. There is plenty of shade available, but they choose to be right under the light.

I think that yours are simply adapting to their new environment and would be initially shy no matter what the light level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have about 12 neons actively swimming in the center of the tank, where there is no shade, under 120 PAR at the substrate. There is plenty of shade available, but they choose to be right under the light.

I think that yours are simply adapting to their new environment and would be initially shy no matter what the light level.
Thank you for the feedback. I found out that turning on the room light and opening the blinds puts them more at ease. I guess they were feeling like they were in a spotlight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts