The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 24 neons to my planted 40 breeder on Sunday. The tank has cycled for 6 weeks with a Sunsun (Polar) 304b filled with pot scrubbers. I've lost 4 fish in 5 days and don't fully understand what is happening. My water is good - ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates <50, PH 6.0-6.5 with CO2 injected for 8hrs. I'm running a Finnex 24/7 planted light for 8hrs offset by 1 hour after the CO2. There's been some aggression by one female (I think) but that seems to have settled down the last couple days. Can anyone offer some insight or experience to help explain what's happening?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could have gotten a bad batch (do they seem colorless or are swimming weird?), or it could be the stress from shipping. Normally I would say you added too many too fast, but as your water is good I'm not sure. Good luck man - that sucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They all look healthy, colorful and are swimming normally. I got them from a fish store about an hour and a half away from my home. Maybe some got stressed from handling and the ride home?

I did add aquarium salt a couple days ago figuring that it couldn't hurt. Would it be harmful or beneficial to medicate the tank as well? I've got general cure, IckX and Erythromycin. I don't want to play doctor and add meds for the sake of adding meds, but if I can prevent more deaths..

·
Registered
102 Posts
They all look healthy, colorful and are swimming normally. I got them from a fish store about an hour and a half away from my home. Maybe some got stressed from handling and the ride home?

I did add aquarium salt a couple days ago figuring that it couldn't hurt. Would it be harmful or beneficial to medicate the tank as well? I've got general cure, IckX and Erythromycin. I don't want to play doctor and add meds for the sake of adding meds, but if I can prevent more deaths..
I brought 5 home yesterday from Petco, and I’m not sure how many died already yet cause I already had a bunch. But I definitely know one didn’t make it lol!

he was swimming around with it lol!

i usually buy 5-10 every now and then it’s a 50/50. It’s most likely the batch. I’d buy a lot less next time and slowly add to your population. That seems to work for me. I also feed the tank new spectrum medicated food for 3 days after adding.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Neons, and even Cardinals, now, are very risky purchases. Generally, they are among the less expensive fish on an individual basis, so I look at a survival rate of 60-80% as good, which makes the price reasonable. Things usually settle down after about a week. If you can achieve that, it is not unreasonable.

CO2 is stressful when fish are not acclimated. By now, they should be acclimated, but that may have accounted for the earlier deaths. I turn off my CO2 on the day I put new fish in the tank and then ramp it up over two days following that.

Watch for obvious signs of disease (white spots, fungus, etc.) and treat if necessary. Also, look up Neon Tetra Disease to determine if any symptoms of that are present. Again, I think that your losses, so far, are not unusual.

90 minutes in the bag is a very long time for any fish. Not only would they be stressed, but they may have been damaged, as well. You can have issues of O2 deprivation and ammonia damage. If I have to travel more than a half-hour, I insist that the LFS provide a bag large enough to have plenty (judgement call) of water AND 50% air. Then, I bring an old dropper bottle (from test kits) filled with Prime and add one drop to the bag to prevent ammonia build-up.

Reactions: Discusluv and deeda

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses AquaPlants and Deanna. If I remember correctly the bag was easily 40% full and had plenty of air in it. Also, I did shut the CO2 off the day I added the fish but didn't ramp up after that. I'll be sure to do that next time. I'll definitely add more fish more slowly too and try to get them a little closer to home. They were having a 40% off storewide sale that day which is why I opted to buy a large quantity. $2.40 a fish is a pretty good deal for neons in my area. Thanks you both for the input. I feel a bit better knowing that neons seem to have a somewhat higher attrition rate.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I added 24 neons to my planted 40 breeder on Sunday. The tank has cycled for 6 weeks with a Sunsun (Polar) 304b filled with pot scrubbers. I've lost 4 fish in 5 days and don't fully understand what is happening. My water is good - ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates <50, PH 6.0-6.5 with CO2 injected for 8hrs. I'm running a Finnex 24/7 planted light for 8hrs offset by 1 hour after the CO2. There's been some aggression by one female (I think) but that seems to have settled down the last couple days. Can anyone offer some insight or experience to help explain what's happening?
Did you properly acclimate the fish or you just dumped them in when you got home?

I agree that 20 could be too many too fast for a fresly cycled tank.

Also, did you say your Nitrates are more than 50ppm???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts