The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I too keep neons in a higher ph....around 7.8. I do a slow, long acclimating process for all of my fish, and have never had an issue. I stopped asking the lfs's in my area what their ph was because every single one always said 7.0. It has to do with the store's stock, I would think.

I actually just upgraded a tank (29 to 55) several weeks ago. I had the ph in the 29 down to around 6.8 - 7.0. But setting up the 55, my tap water is 7.8 - 8.0. I acclimated them over a 24hr period and they are doing great. They are nice and active, schooling, the works.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Wow....never seizes to amaze me all the "Planted Tank Gurus" we have here. What exactly makes one a master at anything?

One thing I've learned in this hobby is to take everyone's advise with a grain of salt. If you really delve into the research as I have done, you will get such a wide range of parameters, opinions, "facts" etc. Google a fish, any fish, and check out 10 websites about how to care for that fish. As a beginner it can be overwhelming...ph range for fish X is 6.5-7.5, no wait, this site says 7.0-8.0.

I've spent countless hours reading about the hobby, even now when I've been pretty successful for some years. I am no master by any means, but I feel I have a good grip on how to handle most situations. It took me several months to pull the trigger and upgrade my tank. Why? Because I had all the parameters where I needed them, which if you read, were the "correct" parameters for the fish in the tank. I did not want to disturb the balance I had in that tank....it took a lot of work and time to get it there. On the same token, a tank double the size would be even better for its inhabitants. The bigger the better, right? Folks on here scold others for having a 10 gallon tank sometimes. "What should I put in my 10 gallon"-------"You should really consider getting a bigger tank". Not all people have the means to do that. Does that mean they shouldn't bother getting into the hobby?

I love this website and appreciate all the advise that I received from all different members. I'm actually friends with some of the folks on here from past and present. But some folks need to relax. If you disagree with someone, fine. This IS a forum for people to voice their opinions and share their experiences to try and help others. But to say that people are dull and ignorant or just a "fish collector" is ignorant in itself. Try encouraging people to do more research so they can do the right thing and be successful. Help them out. Is that so hard? Instead, someone bashes someone else over the head for not doing things the way they would do it, because their way is the right way.....or so they think.

Apologies to the OP for going off on this tangent. But there was something in the thread that needed to be addressed. I definitely don't appreciate when someone takes shots the way they do. If anyone has any other issues, feel free to PM me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts