The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Neon Tetras always rush and hide in corners under the plants when I switch on the light.

There is no sign of any stress. They eat well, are active and in bright color.

This is irrespective to the water change.

On switching off the lights they immediately come out.

Why do they do this? What can be done?

Tank details:

Tetra numbers : 4 [just started]
Capacity : 15 litres
Light : PL13 [13 watts]
Plants : Cabomba 10 pieces, Riccia moss
CO2 : 1 bubble per second using bubble counter in Yeast method
Filter : No.
Water Change : 40% [approx.] weekly
Food : Hikari micro pellets for Tetras. ADA Brighty Step 1 for plants.

Have attached close-up pics.

Please advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's pretty normal behavior for a couple tetras. Give them more companions and some time and they will come out. I have about twenty and they still hide when the lights first come on but swim in the open spaces throughout the day. The more you have the less they hide.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A 4 gallon tank is IMO too small to house a school of neon tetras.

Also since in you're located in India, I wouldn't be surprised if the fish you purchased are harvested from wild sources. Hence..... making them even more skittish than the tetras we have available in the states that are raised in fish farms.

Other than that, your nano tank looks nice with the plants/substrate.

If you had a 20G tank to put a school of 10 neons, plants & no predators, you would notice a HUGE difference in their behavior.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I agree with the others. Mine did that until I increased their numbers. They hid a lot when I only had 5 of them. I added just 1 and it got a bit better. I finally added 3 more and with 9 of them they school together nicely, are all over the tank, and never hide.

This isn't really an option in 4 gallons though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also since in you're located in India, I wouldn't be surprised if the fish you purchased are harvested from wild sources. Hence..... making them even more skittish than the tetras we have available in the states that are raised in fish farms.

Other than that, your nano tank looks nice with the plants/substrate.

If you had a 20G tank to put a school of 10 neons, plants & no predators, you would notice a HUGE difference in their behavior.
Hi MSG,

I believe you are not entirely correct as being in the States or India doesn't always guarantee good quality product. Just the label is different.
Anyways... I got the fishes from Aquaverse, biggest Aquatic shop in India, where they raise the fishes in well kept environment. They supply and maintain ADA products across India in homes and multinational/national corporate offices/buildings.

Thanks for the compliment on my nano-tank. I also believe in providing good-environment for my fishes as.

Thanks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for responding...

My Neons are coming out since yesterday.
These are very shy and scared creatures. Take a lot of time to adjust to light.

Yesterday I added couple more Neons and a small drift-wood piece with Java moss.

All are happy now. And the best part... my Cabomba is growing 3 inches in a week with white tentacles coming down. :icon_smil It will soon become a mess.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the others. Mine did that until I increased their numbers. They hid a lot when I only had 5 of them. I added just 1 and it got a bit better. I finally added 3 more and with 9 of them they school together nicely, are all over the tank, and never hide.

This isn't really an option in 4 gallons though.
Hi all... I have 12 neons and they are always behind the plants.. comes out only when lights are off... I have 4 Cory catfish and a BN. I think 12 is a good number for a school. Mine is a 15g tank.had a bright LED so thought light may be an issue. So dimmed it a bit using some black plastic bag. Still no use. Any idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have 2 cardinal tetra in quarantine in a separate tank under medication and they hide the whole time behind the sponge filter, whereas they were out and about all the time (even when sick!) back in the main tank with their buddies. So not surprised if 4 neon's are feeling a bit vulnerable by themselves!

Having some gregarious / brave fishy tank mates can help. For example, my zebra danios aren't scared of anyone or anything, so the cardinals get that much braver with the boisterous danio's rushing about the place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.