The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got this little guy (neon tetra) and he has some brown discoloration around his dorsal fin and a bit near the pelvic/anal fin. Naturally I freak out because he has neon tetra disease right? Well I kept a close eye on him for a few days while I was trying to quickly cycle a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank. And man he really hasn't shown any signs of sickness other than the brown spots. Everything I have read says NTD will move fairly quickly, and its been about 7-8 days now. The school of tetras has been in the tank for about 4-5 months and I figured NTD would have shown up before now, and this guy is the only one with the spots. Anyone have any ideas?? TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Sorry, but I wouldn't even try to treat it, the risk VS the potential gains (one neon tetra), just doesn't make it worth it.

Doesn't really look like NTD to me either though.

Pleistophora hyphessobryconis (neon tetra disease)

Recently we have diagnosed another microsporidium, Pleistophora hyphessobryconis, in a few zebrafish research facilities. This parasite, the cause of neon tetra disease, infects a wide variety of aquarium fishes, including tetras, barbs and goldfish (Lom and Dyková 1992). The infection results in massive numbers of developing parasites and spores throughout the skeletal muscle (see figure below), and spores are found in other organs within macrophages. This parasite certainly should be avoided in zebrafish research facilities, and thus we recommend extreme caution using zebrafish that have come in contact with other aquarium fishes, particularly tetras. Diagnosis, control and treatment are similar as those for Pseudoloma, but a PCR test for Pleistophora hyphessobryconis in not presently available.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yes, to me it does look like neon tetra disease, but it's difficult to be 100% sure.

I got to agree with @Nordic on this. Remove the infected fish immediately. Having been through bouts with the disease, and have it wipe out almost the entire tank, I can confirm that it's just not worth the risk. Personally, I would destroy the fish, but if your not up to that, put it in a quarantine tank, and sterilize everything used in that tank plus any nets or containers you used to move the fish.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's either NTD or Columnaris (Flavobacterium columnare). Both have the similar white patch (saddle back disease seen in pic)

NTD is said to be uncurable.
Columnaris is curable, but still a very nasty disease and so I would definitely recommend quarantining any fish showing symptoms.
But are deadly diseases, so the best thing is to separate infected fishes right away (remove dead fish ASAP).

From studies, best med to treat Columnaris is Kanamycin (found in Seachem KanaPlex). It has been shown that using Kanamycin along with Nitrofurazone (found in API Furan 2) creates a synergistic effect and gives the best chance at curing Columnaris.

Some info here on NTD
Neon Tetra & FNT Disease; Sporozoan Fish Infection

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.