The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days I had a massive dieoff of my neon school, went from 18 to 3. Ph is 7.2, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are zero, temp is 78. My black tetras, tiger barbs, and harlequin rasps are doing fine. It's a heavily planted 20g long, fully cycled for almost a year. I'm open to any advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So you have a heavily planted tank with zero Nitrates? I hardly believe this, your test might be screwing you up.
Should have been more precise as to my nitrate reading. Its an API test kit, the resulting color shows a level between 0 and 10 ppm. Its a low tech tank, dosed with Flourish twice per week. Low tech plants including java fern, wisteria, anubia, several assorted swords, and a few others I cant think of off the top of my head. I typically test weekly and almost never have seen the nitrate level above 20ppm. I have been battling green hair algae, but have a hard time thinking that could harm the fish

Figured I'd post a photo for reference, maybe it's something about my setup that's an issue. I'm returning to the hobby after a 15 year break, so many things have changed. Running an aqua clear 50 with a mix of sponge and bio rings, no charcoal, with a prefilter sponge. Powerhead on the left side is a 240gph.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
How's your water change schedule? been keeping up with maintenance? did you create any sudden changes that would impact the fish?
I've done water changes with the wrong temp but all the fish died within minutes, sounds like you've had a few die here and there?

Maybe neon tetra disease?

The main thing that is important is that if you're going to restock the tank with new fish to go through a quarantine time of 2 weeks before putting them in the main tank or else you may loose the current stock you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm good with maintenance, 50% every week. I added in new fish a few weeks ago but they went through time in quarantine tank. It's spread beyond the neons now. I've lost all 18 neons, a few tiger barbs, 6 black tetras, and 2 kuhli loaches. Pretty sure I'm gonna lose this tank...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Really late to this, but I've read that Neons are black water fish and need a black water environment which means bacteria free. I read they're very suseptible to bacterial infections - some people install a uv light.

Sorry about your fish :/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry if OT but curious what if you can't vacuum bcs abundance of plants in Aquasoil?

What would be the first signs of "Old Tank Syndrome"?

Lightly stocked if that matters.

TY.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.