The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week and a half ago I added a small school of 8 neons to my newly cycled and heavily planted 10 gallon. Today the smallest of them is missing which is not surprising, but kind of sad because although it was half the size of the rest it was starting to eat really well. Anyway, I can't find its body. Nothing in the filter, nothing floating. I dismantled my scape looking for it... nothing. SOS. Should I do daily water changes until it's found?

Anyone else ever lost a fish?

·
Registered
43 Posts
A week and a half ago I added a small school of 8 neons to my newly cycled and heavily planted 10 gallon. Today the smallest of them is missing which is not surprising, but kind of sad because although it was half the size of the rest it was starting to eat really well. Anyway, I can't find its body. Nothing in the filter, nothing floating. I dismantled my scape looking for it... nothing. SOS. Should I do daily water changes until it's found?

Anyone else ever lost a fish?
Did you check the floor around the tank? Could have jumped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't take long for tankmates to eat a small corpse. I very rarely find the corpses of little tetras and cyprinids in my tanks.
Morbid but logical. I'll keep testing the water for problems.

Did you check the floor around the tank? Could have jumped.
Never pegged neons for jumpers! Is that common? And I don't think so, I have a lid. If he did get through the half inch gap by the filter, he's probably dog food by now.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Jumper often do just disappear. My last jumper was able to land on the side of an upright 2X4 brace on the stand and stay there! But their bodies have almost no bones when small so they can also die and disappear quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had a neon Tetra jump. Dried up to about 1/2 the size it was. Good luck. I somehow lost a (large for its size) Cory while doing a cleaning a few months ago. Still haven't found it. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts