The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am uncertain what ratio of male to females of Neon Rainbow fish I should have. For have read several times it is 3 males to 2 females. Then read 1 male to 2 female. With most species you want more females than males. Is it different with Neon Rainbows?

Found the answer here. Ratio of approx 3 males per 2 females helps keep inter-male aggression within bounds and spares the females physical abuse.

This doesn't make sense to. I am waiting email, which gets blocked from some forums, to join forum and ask questions.

I am bidding on 6, which is 4 females and 2 males. It seems with 4 females 2 males would have a nice little harem. Also I know from another site that 2 males and 1 female can lead to death of a male.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never had a problem with male/male aggression in these little guys. The dwarf neons I had got along just fine at all times (5 males, 5 females, purely by chance), even during spawning. They were in a 75 gallon tank, so perhaps that made a difference. Overall, they were pleasant, unaggressive little fish.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is nice to know. For I have 2 male Neon Rainbows at present in my planted 29 gallon tank. If I get the six from Aqua Bid I think I will see if they get along before trading them. One seems more dominant but they play together a lot. There is always a potentiality of getting a bully in the bunch.

Avierra do you have a link to the picture of the tank with you Rainbows?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I haven't seen that the ratio matters a whole lot with them, but I like to keep rainbows either paired or 1 male to 2 females, just because the colors will be brighter and they will display more if you have both sexes.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i agree, i've kept them before in my 46g. i think they prefer to either have more males (so that the males are busy showing off to each other instead of harassing the females), or less males (so that the males don't feel the need to fight or harass just one female). so if possible, don't get an equal amount of males and females, but even if you do, it doesn't matter all that much. theyre peaceful little things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts