The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon that I want to turn into a little display tank. I wanted to use either Neon or Cardinal Tetras. I was just wondering what kind of current should I have going. I have a marineland biowheel filter in it that is designed for up to 20 gallons. I'm not sure if this is creating too much current. I through some java ferns in there and they are moving around, but it doesn't seem like they are being heavily pulled at. I just don't want the fish to constantly be fighting a current if they prefer calm waters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got a HOB filter on my hospital tank that is rated for a 60 gallon setup. I just put some filter media on the outlet cover to slow the output. It has been this way for a while with no issues. If your concerned about the current being to fast you could give that a shot. Filter media and rubberbands did the trick for me. I would imagine that neons and cardinals prefer lighter currents not so much that they are wasting energy to keep position I the column or being pushed around by the current. Do you notice any sitting in spots with less current?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a HOB filter on my hospital tank that is rated for a 60 gallon setup. I just put some filter media on the outlet cover to slow the output. It has been this way for a while with no issues. If your concerned about the current being to fast you could give that a shot. Filter media and rubberbands did the trick for me. I would imagine that neons and cardinals prefer lighter currents not so much that they are wasting energy to keep position I the column or being pushed around by the current. Do you notice any sitting in spots with less current?
I don't have the fish yet, I wanted to know before I actually purchased them. I'll try what you say and see what happens.

mach, I have an AC and there is a flow control mechanism, but yes, there is nothing like that on the marineland. Although, there are several attachments that can increase/decrease flow slightly, but they make the filter reach to far down and the depth exceeds the depth of the tank, so that's out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.