The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or maybe CRS are better at not being eaten.

I had a bunch of wild type Neocaridina shrimp in my community tank for many months without any problems. There were tons of them and you could see them all over the place during the day. Sadly, this tank utopia did not last. The Roseline Sharks in the tank discovered how tasty they are, and within 2 weeks the Neocaridina shrimp were extinct from the tank.

I also have CRS in the same tank, and they have done a much better job of not being eaten despite their bright colors since they stay low and out of sight during the day. So you might give CRS a try in a community tank of you want shrimp.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Same thing happened to me. The cardinal tetras must have had a meeting and decided they tasted good after all, and their population plummeted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same story here I'm afraid. Had cherries for about 8 months, population was booming...then my roseline had a taste and in two weeks they were eradicated. This was a 55 gallon. On the plus, my roseline had a growth spurt. Now it's started munching on my java and fissidens moss...

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Indeed cherries are very tasty no matter what their color. I have to admit that the caridinas were much better at surviving than neos. I had tigers and cherries in a tank and removed most of them before introducing a pair of bettas. I was still occasionally finding tiny tigers but no cherries. Maybe they're just tastier too?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You had tetras eating shrimp?
It's not uncommon. Anything but otos will eat the babies, and a lot of fish, tetras included, will happily pick at and tear apart the adults. It takes some fish a while to figure out that shrimp are delicious, but once they do, it's dinner time.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Just finished dinner. I must confirm. Shrimps are indeed yummy. Big ones from Costco boiled with some garlic onion soy dipping sauce. :)

Next time, I'll have my wife boil one PFR cull and report back.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
My girl gets mad that I have hundreds of shrimp that she can't eat. Shrimp is her favorite thing to eat.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
LMAO....

NAW GURL...STAY AWAY FROM THE BLUE RILIS AND TIGERS!!!....

I'll ration you to one Sakura cull a day. Or you can save up your credits and have 7 on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
lol!!! She's a woman though the low end just don't taste the same. It's like all you can eat sushi. It's just not quite the same lol. Blue rili should drop any day :)

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
popcorn shrimp!
That's it! She definitely doesn't get to see this thread lol.
@ shrimp 3 berried 1 saddled not to bad considering I only have 7 of them. Kinda funny thing though the 2 for sure males are by FAR the most intense blue out of the group. Usually the opposite in neos but that's cool spread those deep blue genes around :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That's it! She definitely doesn't get to see this thread lol.
@ shrimp 3 berried 1 saddled not to bad considering I only have 7 of them. Kinda funny thing though the 2 for sure males are by FAR the most intense blue out of the group. Usually the opposite in neos but that's cool spread those deep blue genes around :)
i wonder if the berries aka roe taste like caviar :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts