The Planted Tank Forum banner

Neocaridina parameters

454 6
I am about to set up a planted tank and once established put neocaridina shrimp in it but I am unsure weather or not they will survive in my tap water
Gh:21
Kh:16
Ph:7.6
I would appreciate an opinion as to weather or not they would survive, thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
17,861 Posts
Survive? Yes. Thrive? Not like they would in more ideal parameters.

If those are your actual kH and gH measurements (what kind of kit did you use to test? strips? liquid? brand?), you'd likely be well-served to dilute your tap by 40-50% distilled or RO/DI water. But it really depends upon your water.

Once you share more about how you've tested kH and gH, we'll be able to offer better input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Survive? Yes. Thrive? Not like they would in more ideal parameters.

If those are your actual kH and gH measurements (what kind of kit did you use to test? strips? liquid? brand?), you'd likely be well-served to dilute your tap by 40-50% distilled or RO/DI water. But it really depends upon your water.

Once you share more about how you've tested kH and gH, we'll be able to offer better input.
I used the api master test kit and Gh and Kh test kit with the drops

·
Administrator
17,861 Posts
I used the api master test kit and Gh and Kh test kit with the drops
This is going to sound insulting but it's really not meant to come across that way: Are you absolutely sure it took 21 drops and 16 drops for there to be a color change? API is notorious for being difficult to read - especially if the kit is near expiration. Sometimes the color changes but there's not an easy way to discern what's occurring. Then there's a much darker, more pronounced change several drops later. And sometimes the kits are just duds.

If you have the means, you may want to dry a different brand of test kit just to verify. Sera is a relatively affordable brand (cheaper than the other high-end brands) that you may want to try. Both the kH and gH kit should be readily available in most countries and they're really easy to read. Usually not much more expensive than API.

Alternatively, are you on a public water supply or do you use a well to obtain water? If public, does your local municipality have published water quality reports online that you could check? Those reports usually contain information that would help determine your water parameters.

·
Administrator
17,861 Posts
Where I live there is very hard water because we get our water from a chalk stream which is why I didn’t question the results much.
That would explain it. Especially the high kH without a crazy-high (for Neos) pH. Though, I'd still confirm with a separate test kit if possible just to be on the safe side. That way you'll have a firmer grasp of your local parameters.

Then you could take the dilution route, which would essentially create ideal parameters for Neocaridina and many other freshwater species of fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would explain it. Especially the high kH without a crazy-high (for Neos) pH. Though, I'd still confirm with a separate test kit if possible just to be on the safe side. That way you'll have a firmer grasp of your local parameters.

Then you could take the dilution route, which would essentially create ideal parameters for Neocaridina and many other freshwater species of fish.
Cool thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts