The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the LFS to buy my first cherry shrimp for a project (hint hint), and while they were charging like $5/shrimp, I did notice some stunning individuals. I bought three of them, but my problem is that I don't know whether to count these are fire red, painted fire red, or bloody mary shrimp. Additionally, while observing the shrimp, one of them seems to have some sort of green thing on its pleopods. The shrimp I used to work with had yellow eggs, which is why I'm slightly suspicious about what the thing is. Can somebody help me ID what they are, and let me know if I've got an "green fungus that kills shrimp" infestation about to happen?

Shrimp 1:
D3BD22BB-0340-4C26-A955-2BF6FDBD56DD.jpeg 8F730E3C-72C6-4F85-8542-D647A8295F48.jpeg
Shrimp 2 (potential fungal infection?):
12629F88-CCC7-4012-A13D-838F68AB23C4.jpeg 86A52F1B-AB43-4E7E-93F9-A79078588F50.jpeg 86A52F1B-AB43-4E7E-93F9-A79078588F50.jpeg
Shrimp 3:
7FB18365-3C4D-4E26-8CA6-D4E35A33743C.jpeg BC837245-A28D-4762-9F9E-7F1AB8542E67.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I would say that they appear to be high grade red cherries... not bloody mary at all.

Eggs can also come in different colors but in reds, they're usually yellow or green... and the photos aren't clear enough to say for sure if it's eggs or fungus... but leaning towards eggs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that they appear to be high grade red cherries... not bloody mary at all.

Eggs can also come in different colors but in reds, they're usually yellow or green... and the photos aren't clear enough to say for sure if it's eggs or fungus... but leaning towards eggs.
Hmmmm, well either way I think this is a good thing? Fungus can't spread as long as the shrimp itself doesn't die, right? The amanos I bought earlier weren't in the same tank, so I'm not super worried about them, but it'd be great if I could start off on a good footing.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
It's algae... which I have yet to hear of amanos getting it... in fact, most Caridina can't... but for whatever reason, this algae "likes" neos... so not sure what it is about them that the algae attacks but not the others.

Ghost shrimp and macro shrimp (i.e. whisker shrimp) may also be possible candidates for this algae.

I'm not entirely sure how it's spread... i.e. do they need to ingest it to get infected? Or does it spread through water? Or what?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not entirely sure how it's spread... i.e. do they need to ingest it to get infected? Or does it spread through water? Or what?
Sources on the internet seem to say that the shrimp needs to ingest it in order to get infected, or that the spores land on the shrimp and drive their way through the armor. So ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pretty! I agree with the egg impression. I have noticed it seems like eggs change color as they pass through development, but when you have a big colony its hard to pinpoint that say Martha's eggs Were yellow a couple days ago but now are green.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
There's also been other people who have had the shrimp for several months without a trace of the algae, then all of a sudden it just pops up out of no where in a colony.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts