The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been a reader for almost a year and have managed to put together a low tech tank that has been very enjoyable and up until tonight I have not hit any speed bumps due to the information everyone shares here. I created an account tonight to share my first big problem since starting my planted tank regarding a newer heater to the market that cracked.

I noticed a burning smell in the house and pinpointed it to my aquarium. The water smelled burnt. First thought maybe it was the motor on the canister or even from outside since the windows were open, but then saw the crack lines on the heater. I unplugged it and pulled it immediately and began my internet search to see if this was a new issue as I had really only seen positive reviews when I bought it back in November. I found a forum post on Reef Central that was similar and recent so I posted this there, and since I get my information here I needed to share it here as well. I had been by the tank about 20 minutes before without the smell. I think I was lucky to catch it so quick, but the smell was over powering right above the water. So far, the smell has subsided rather quickly and the inhabitants are acting normal. Hope nothing leaked into the water and I hope this is not the beginning of a bigger problem for these heaters since I also have a Neotherm 25watt in the nano.

I hate my first post to be about a bad thing, but I wanted to make sure it was at least out there for information purposes. I also want to point out that I am not against these heaters or the company, but since I had not seen these type issues I thought it best to share the experience. I will be contacting them tomorrow so they know about the issue if it has not been seen yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8tyxDrCemaEOXpZUUw3V2xUUGs/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8tyxDrCemaEdkZnb1FMSlBlMTg/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good to know cdmclaug,

Thank you for the update.

I have had a 150 watt for about a month and have had no problems, in fact I am loving it.

Very accurate.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have had large cichlid's bust heater's and thermometer's.
Have also had heater's break when I forgot to turn them off during large water changes when heater was no longer submersed. I now lay them horizontally on substrate along back glass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was loving it too. It was not as noticeable since it blended into my black background better than my jager, and was within 1/2 a degree of the set temp at all times.

I agree on the way the cracks look like the result of an impact or almost like it was bent in half. The pictures aren't the best, but it cracked on each side and the plastic between them is bowed outward slightly as if pressure had built up on the inside of it. Possibly water made it's way inside and caused the pressure upon heating.

The inhabitants are all small pretty small. Small tetras, a few small cories, amanos, and otos. After almost leaving my first heater on during a water change, I decided to put it and the filter on the same power strip. That way I could just hit the strip power button and get both without having to unplug any cords. However, I wonder if it could have held enough heat after being shut off during the last water change to damage it.

I'm hoping it's just a fluke since I can only find one other person that appears to have had a similar thing occur.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about those heaters; so this is surprising! Cant wait to see what the company says/does about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts