The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still pretty new to keeping shrimp. I have some neos in my Fluval Spec 2, and I've had them for about 5 months. I haven't had any shrimplets yet, but I think I may have witnessed a female running for her life as every single one of my males tried to fertilize her. I just want to make sure that what I saw was normal.

I saw a bunch of my shrimp (presumably males) swimming frantically around my tank. I noticed that a large yellow female neo was swimming around frantically as well. It seemed like all the males were trying to grab her, and she seemed pretty stressed out. I saw a large exoskeleton on the substrate, which was most likely the females, and I know that this triggers the mating response from the males. I was just a bit worried about the female since she didn't seem to like being chased around by the males.

At any rate, does everything I mentioned above sound normal? If my female becomes berried and births shrimplets, I'll be ecstatic. However, I just want to make sure she'll be OK while she's being pursued by numerous horny males. Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For neos it is normal to have the males swim frantically trying to find the fem, but the fem usually acts disinterested- not frantic as well.

You may want to check params.
The female acts disinterested even when the males are chasing after her and grabbing her? She was fine and calm until a male would go up to her and start touching her.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
The female acts disinterested even when the males are chasing after her and grabbing her? She was fine and calm until a male would go up to her and start touching her.

The mating act can look kind of brutal. She can even look comatose while being...er...engaged. She usually does not flee too much.

However I was going off of this sentence: " I noticed that a large yellow female neo was swimming around frantically as well."

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mating act can look kind of brutal. She can even look comatose while being...er...engaged. She usually does not flee too much.

However I was going off of this sentence: " I noticed that a large yellow female neo was swimming around frantically as well."
Sorry. I failed to provide the context. I was surprised yesterday when I saw her on her back with a male on top of her. However, she got out from under that position and swam away. At any rate, she wasn't swimming around frantically unless a male was grabbing for her. So this is normal, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts