The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank is a 38G(36x12.5x19) and currently stock with 12 Brilliant rasboras, 12 harlequin Rasboras, 5 Rummy Nose Tetras, 1 Angel, 1ABN long fins, 1ABN reg fins, 6-8 Algae eating(amano) shrimps, unknown number of Cherry shrimps, and 3 otto cats.

I've been wanting to get the congo tetras, and lfs have them on sale for $3 each and i really want to grab them. So need help on which ones i should let go and which ones i should keep to go along with the Congo tetras. Which of my rasbora groups should i let go:icon_frow ? Sad i know but if i want to add the congo tetras i really need to thin out my stock. Should i get rid all of my current schooling and stick with the congos? Someone ,help :help:. Thoughts, comments?

Thanks...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Congo tetras get really large in comparison to the rest of the fish you have in the tank now.

I'd get rid of all the schooling fish and also a BN pleco (these are really the highest bioload fish in your tank due to their incredible metabolism).

If you want to keep the 5 Rummies, then I'd suggest getting rid of the Angel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks laura....yeah i plan to let go of my angel as well, two bn plecos are both dwarf and at 2" right now i'd luv to keep them.

Here's what i plan to do. Get rid of the Brilliant rasboras and the angel, then add 5-8(not sure what's the good number)of congos. What do u guys think?

I should probadly mention as well that this tank is running two 2213s and a powerhead. sale starts tomorrow and ends next saturday or while quantities last. Really need more of your opinions...

·
Registered
762 Posts
if you're focus on the congo's i would get rid of the other schooling fish and just get about 7-10 congo's. congo's get kinda big.mine are about 3-3.5body size. or if you want 2 schooling fish i would keep the rummy's and add a few more to the group. congo's look amazing when adult.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congos get pretty large for tetras. I wouldn't put them in a 38g. They need more swimming room IMO...like a 75g. Be patient and wait for those Dwarf Neon Rainbows to go on sale. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts