The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to put one of these needle wheel pumps in my sump for my CO2, but, I would like for it to go into a reactor first, is that an option? If so how would I set it up. I guess it would full water from the sump, push water and CO2 into the reactor, and back into the return chamber.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use an Eheim NW pump into a large PVC reactor with the outflow of the reactor going into a T on my return pump so the return pump sucks up all of the co2 rich water and sends it directly into the tank. If you need a picture let me know.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use an Eheim NW pump into a large PVC reactor with the outflow of the reactor going into a T on my return pump so the return pump sucks up all of the co2 rich water and sends it directly into the tank. If you need a picture let me know.

Thanks for the info. yes please if you could post a picture that would be great.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I wouldn't return to the sump, but return to the tank itself or even tie the return from the co2 reactor (if you're doing one) into the return of the sump's pump.

I might have to look into this needle wheel thing... I've currently got a small airstone positioned in front of the sump pump's inlet, which then ends up in a co2 reactor, then to the tank. I get no gas buildup in the reactor (purge valve always just shoots out water) but still tons of small bubbles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i use a simple 4" pvc tube with end caps and drilled holes for barb fittings but the house water filters are nice. i would put a T on the return pump so if its flowing faster than the needle wheel it doesnt cavitate or in case the nw pump ever stops working your return pump keeps water flowing into the tank atleast.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The idea of needle wheel pumps for co2 have been around for quite some time. I'd like to try the idea of creating a separate loop for co2 alone (no filtration). Beginning with an inline co2 atomizer, leading into a needle wheel pump, leading into a large reactor (like 24"x3") to polish off the diffusion by creating tons of dwell time, and then return to the tank.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I use a Mag 7 with needle wheel then that goes into a cerges reactor(bubble collector) and the return to that goes back into my sump and is pointed at the inlet to my return pump that picks up that water and returns it to my tank. It has worked really good running it this way. No gas build up at all and very minimal micro bubbles. My return pump is a Mag 9.5. You can take a look through my journal in my signature and there is pictures of the reactor I built along with links to the housing I used.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I guess I just need to figure out what size Reactor to built and then order the pump? What size reactor do you guys use? I plant to do the same, run the pump into the reactor, then back into the sump, right where my main return is from primary pump.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a Mag 7 with needle wheel then that goes into a cerges reactor(bubble collector) and the return to that goes back into my sump and is pointed at the inlet to my return pump that picks up that water and returns it to my tank. It has worked really good running it this way. No gas build up at all and very minimal micro bubbles. My return pump is a Mag 9.5. You can take a look through my journal in my signature and there is pictures of the reactor I built along with links to the housing I used.
How did you decide that Mag 7, was the best size to go with your reactor? I am going with 20" reactor, been trying to decide if that what I want on it or not Mag 7 or 5. I also wanted to put my UV on the same pump.

What do yout think?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
How did you decide that Mag 7, was the best size to go with your reactor? I am going with 20" reactor, been trying to decide if that what I want on it or not Mag 7 or 5. I also wanted to put my UV on the same pump.

What do yout think?
If you're going to run a uv inline also I would go with a bigger pump. I have a ball valve on the output of my reactor to control flow.

You have to take into consideration the flow that is lost through the uv and the ports on a reactor will reduce flow.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're going to run a uv inline also I would go with a bigger pump. I have a ball valve on the output of my reactor to control flow.

You have to take into consideration the flow that is lost through the uv and the ports on a reactor will reduce flow.
OK, thanks for the info. Have not decided on UV yet, I might just go with reactor on it own pump and later down the road get a UV on it own pump.

My budget is quickly being used up for this project, and UV might get pushed down to bottom of the list, for long term stuff I want to order.

So if I am going with the 20" filter you think same one as you will be good?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
OK, thanks for the info. Have not decided on UV yet, I might just go with reactor on it own pump and later down the road get a UV on it own pump.

My budget is quickly being used up for this project, and UV might get pushed down to bottom of the list, for long term stuff I want to order.

So if I am going with the 20" filter you think same one as you will be good?
Having a needle wheel impeller on a pump doesn't give it as much flow as a normal impeller would. I'm not sure on the size of my reactor but I know it's not 20", more like around 12-14". I still think a mag 7 will work good for your reactor. I would personally run the uv on a separate pump if you decide to get one in the future. They're not necessary but if you get a green water bloom you will wish you had one.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having a needle wheel impeller on a pump doesn't give it as much flow as a normal impeller would. I'm not sure on the size of my reactor but I know it's not 20", more like around 12-14". I still think a mag 7 will work good for your reactor. I would personally run the uv on a separate pump if you decide to get one in the future. They're not necessary but if you get a green water bloom you will wish you had one.
Thanks, I ordered the mag 7. Will run the UV on another pump if I buy one later this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.