The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a rio + 1000 with a modified impeller in my sump in an attempt to get the super fine mist that Tom Barr talks about and others have accomplished over on the Barr report.

I am frustrated as I feel the bubbles are still larger than I am hoping. I have never been able to get to the point on this tank where the fish start to show sign of distress, which I guess is comforting that I am not going to gas anything, but I know the tank could use some co2.

I am contemplating buying a prefab model of impeller on amazon for $20, but apparently the diy model should work just fine.

I will try to get some photos up to show what I am trying to accomplish.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Are you using a drop checker? That's the best way to judge if you have around the amount of co2 you need. Sometimes it will take them a while to react to changes, so not something you can adjust, check, then adjust again instantly, you'll have to do it over time. For me solenoids and drop checkers are the best two things I bought for my co2 systems.

I had a similar problem to where I thought my bubbles were too large coming out of my in-tank diffuser so I increased my co2 line (tubing going to the diffuser) psi from 35psi to 50psi and that helps quite a bit, maybe if you increase your pressure that may help out some.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using a drop checker? That's the best way to judge if you have around the amount of co2 you need. Sometimes it will take them a while to react to changes, so not something you can adjust, check, then adjust again instantly, you'll have to do it over time. For me solenoids and drop checkers are the best two things I bought for my co2 systems.

Yes I do have a drop checker and I am able to get it into a nice lime color, but I also know you need to watch fish and plants. I am still getting some algae (bits if bba) which is co2 related typically. I also like to keep things dialed in as close to causing issues with fish as I can.

My real question has more to do with how to get your needle wheel to produce the super fine mist that I have seen on reef mods as well as what people have posted over on the Barr report.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Rballi, I have your exact configuration: Rio 1000 and a DIY needle wheel impeller like yours (without mesh though) and works great for me until I let the output pass through an AquaMedic 1000 reactor first, and then a cerges. That way bubbles just disappear completely.

I have also tried the red native impeller, but the result was exactly the same, plus the red one was much more noisy (!!!) so that at the end I kept my DIY one.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rballi, I have your exact configuration: Rio 1000 and a DIY needle wheel impeller like yours (without mesh though) and works great for me until I let the output pass through an AquaMedic 1000 reactor first, and then a cerges. That way bubbles just disappear completely.

I have also tried the red native impeller, but the result was exactly the same, plus the red one was much more noisy (!!!) so that at the end I kept my DIY one.

That's good to know, I won't waste my money.

I just tried using a bunch of that mesh stuff and a ton of fishing line to hold it all together and create more surface area and it seems to be marginally better. At one point I had a cerges reactor going as well, but I am not sure how much it really helped as it just seemed to collect air pockets more than anything. I might give it a I and see how it works...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The only thing I see is the co2 isn't getting enough dwell time in the water before it hits the tank. Tom is using his sealed sump as a reactor, in addition to the diy modified needle wheel impeller, you might want to consider something similar. I agree the bubbles are quite large.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a wet/dry, so the mist is hanging out in the return portion of the sump before being redirected to the display. Again, I am trying to better understand how to get the super fine mist from just the needle wheel which he describes as more of a haze than anything. I have no doubt that if I was able to achieve the "hazy" bubbles I would not be worried whatsoever with the deliver method into the display.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Yeah, your bubbles are currently pretty big because you need to increase dwelling time. Without the AM1000 and cerges I'd have pretty much what you have, maybe smaller bubbles... I am wondering: how do you connect the Co2 tubing to the intake of your Rio?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think Tom Barr has anything else post needle wheel. I have the cerges hooked up now with a PVC reactor that flows right out to the inlet of the return pump and it seems like the exact same result

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Co2 just kicked on and it looks much different this morning. Way fewer bubbles, but they are about the same size. I am interested to watch the drop checker as the day goes on and how much gas accumulates in both reactors.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is not a wet dry. All of the co2 enriched water is picked up by the return pump. There is no surface movement on the sump at all and I am running a modified bean animal of sorts with a full siphon. Co2 loss is not a concern necessarily.

I was under the impression that the modified impeller would be able to chop up the bubbles into a very fine mist that would appear more as a haze as opposed to visible bubbles. I just can't get that from the recommended equipment. I am now running a cerges and PVC reactor post needle wheel to reduce as much of the bubbles which seems to be working ok, but I would really like to eliminate the larger bubbles to get either super fine misting or no bubbles at all.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe the return pump is a moving a little too water and the gas is being sent through too fast. I'm gonna try this soon. Still haven't decided on the equipment yet.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
It is an eheim 1262 that is going full blast. I thought more turbulence meant more mixing/absorption?
Not necessarily. My thought was that the more time gas spent getting chopped up would produce finer bubbles. Do you have a ball valve you can slow down the return with? Perhaps try slowing the flow and see what happens. I dunno. (All theory and no practice here, haha)

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have rio 1000 sitting here front of me i'll be working on it over the weekend will post results. my plan is to modify with cutting blades in the middle like you did

1 - 20 of 41 Posts