The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered a Milwaukee MA957 regulator which will be here tomorrow.

After doing some searching and reading here I'm not sure how "adequate" the supplied needle valve is and will it cause a problem when the tank gets empty?

If there are better, what is a recommended replacement for this regulator?

I've looked at some (Like Fabco) that appear to have barbed fittings. Do these valves come with threaded fittings?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
The stock needle valve on the MA957 is often cited as the weakest part of the Milwaukee regulator. As a result, you may not have rock steady bubble rate, and it may require frequent adjustments until it settles down. Also, end of tank dump (EOTD) is a possibility.

Are you looking to replace the entire regulator, or just the needle valve? If the former, any quality single (i.e. Cornelius) or dual stage (i.e. Concoa, Matheson, Victor) regulator will do. If you are looking to replace just the needle valve, then the Fabco NV55, Ideal or Swagelok are good brands to look at.

The Fabco NV55 is normally made for inline use. While there are threaded adapters that allow mounting onto the regulator, it is not recommended. This is because the #10/32 threads are quite fragile and the Fabco NV55 body itself is quite heavy. A little knock and you may break the threading on the needle valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.