The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these all in one milw. regulators. It has a needle valve on it that is about the biggest piece of crap there ever was. I have been fighting with this thing for 2 month. It will not hold a bubble count over 2 a sec. I set it at 5 bubbles a sec......solenoid goes off and comes back on the next day at 2 bubbles ever 5 seconds. I have had it with this crap.

Any one have experience with a good needle valve. I desperately need something here.

Thanks

jB

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
First off, what is the working pressure set at? There've been a number of folks who reported that their needle valve won't hold a steady bubble rate unless they up the working presure to 20+ psi. I have mine set at ~40psi if for no other reason than that's what the JBJ regulator on my other tank is fixed at.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bharada said:
First off, what is the working pressure set at? There've been a number of folks who reported that their needle valve won't hold a steady bubble rate unless they up the working presure to 20+ psi. I have mine set at ~40psi if for no other reason than that's what the JBJ regulator on my other tank is fixed at.
It at about 25-30psi.....

jB

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Sometimes it is also that you have not opened the CO2 cylinder itself enough.

Here's my tried and true method for adjusting and setting up the bubble rate on the Milwaukee regulator.

1. Close all the pressure to the CO2 line from the cylinder itself (the big black knob).
2. Open the needle valve all the way and dump the little bit of CO2 still left in the bubble counter and then close it all the way again.
3. Make sure the valve on the actual CO2 cylinder is open a good amount. If you just turn it a bit it will slowly fade.
4. Slowly adjust the regulator to about 20 psi using the black knob.
5. Open the needle valve full blast for a few seconds and close it again and check to see that the pressure remained at 20 psi. If not, then readjust it and repeat this step until it does.
6. Now set the desired bubble rate and you should be golden.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup.....done all these things.....multiple times. I have been struggling with this for 2 months. So no i am done......

HAHA

jB

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Did you try them all in that order or just separately? I listed them in the order they should be done to achieve a reliable bubble rate.

There is one other thing that could be causing the issues. Do you have a needle valve setup on the CO2 line? How are you injecting the CO2? You may be having backpressure issues.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Jason Baliban said:
Yup.....done all these things.....multiple times. I have been struggling with this for 2 months.
I hear ya', jB! That's why I finally broke down and got a controller. However, now that I'm investigating the new Tom Barr ceramic disc approach, I might have to do something. Personally, I just started adjusting the bubble rate by adjusting the black knob (moving the psi between 20-40). I tried several of the tricks also and never got the needle valve adjustment to stay steady.

I know Rex has long recommended the Clippard needle valve. But, I too am listening!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the milwaukee too. The bubble rate is all over the place. I have to set it every day. It does work better if you leave it run 24/7. It holds fairly steady then and will drift if there was a big temp change in the house.

Closing and opening the solinoid can mess up the setting big time. I have to reset mine almost every day after the solinoid turns on. I turn the CO2 off at night, because I inject alot during the day. I use a plastic check valve. Del somthing or other.

I have been thinking about a new regulater and valve or going to co2 24/7.

Rick.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i have the same prob.

Rex.....I have no problem building one.....thus the point of this thread. Where are you buying a good needle valve these days?

jB

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jason I am not sure if it is the regulator or the needle valve. It could be either.
I have read that Rex runs his CO2 24/7? What he is using may not fix your or my issue since we are using the equipment differently.

Rex have you ever cycled yours off at night? If so did it hold a steady bubble rate for a week or longer? I have mine hold steady for a few days then drift off.

I have been hesitant to get anything new. I actually think the problem is with the regulator and not the valve. I can't prove it though unless i start throwing parts at it.

At the end of my list of things to do is a visit to the local home brew store. When I have some spare time and some spare cash I will check out the regulators they have.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Rex have you ever cycled yours off at night? If so did it hold a steady bubble rate for a week or longer? I have mine hold steady for a few days then drift off.
In the past I had a solenoid on a timer. Bubble count was rock solid.

I use the Clippard needle valves. The MNK-4V as I recall.

Fabco makes a good one that is a bit more expensive but I have never used it.

Also Swagelok makes some awesome metering valves if you want to go top shelf and spend ~$70 or so each.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I've been having the same problem, JB. When the controller kicked back on, the bubble count was almost non-existent. In fact, I have had a BBA outbreak because of the faulty needle valve. As soon as I saw what was happening, I called Milwaukee and pretty much insisted they send me a new regulator ASAP.

This is it for me and the Milwaukee regulators. I don't mind fiddling around, but I can't start having problems because of equipment failure. This unit conks out and I an off Milwaukee!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I hear that Mike.....

At the same time though.....is it really Milwaukee? Or is is just the stupid needle valve. I just think this "all in one setup" is crap.

Would would be your alternative? JBJ? Its the same crap I hear. I think the best way to go is to put it together piece by piece.

I think I am just going to pull the needle valve/ bubble counter off and by a more reliable one.

jB

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
At the same time though.....is it really Milwaukee? Or is is just the stupid needle valve. I just think this "all in one setup" is crap.
Well, it is the Milwaukee regulator. The next one goes bad, and that's it!

Would would be your alternative?
AZOO. I have an AZOO on my tall 37G and it works with no trouble at all. When the original Milwaukee on my 75G took a dirt nap, I should have replaced it with the AZOO instead of another Milwaukee.

Believe me, I will be using an AZOO regulator on the 37G Oceanic I'll be working on this winter!!

Mike

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mike please delete this one some how I goofed up and double posted.

Rick

·
Registered
419 Posts
JB please let me know if the needle valve fixes it. If it does I will buy a new one :icon_bigg . I still think it might be the regulator though. There have been some recommendations on needle valves. Does anyone know of any good quality regulators that one might buy to use with those needle vavles?

I am not really please with milwuakee equipement so far. I have both the all in one regulator and the controller. We have been discussing the drifting with the regulator. The controller I have is not much better. It drifts alot too. It is suppose to be plus or minues .2 but mine seems to be plus or minus .4 :icon_frow .

I calibrated it weekly and have found it .4 off a couple times. I don't use the controller function any more. I can't trust it. I use it as monitor and for fail safe protection. I have it set to turn off the CO2 if the PH gets down to 6 ( I run at 6.3) It might protect the fish from a end of tank dump or a complete regulator failure.

Edit ok Mike you posted the AZOO as I was writing haha.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rrguymon said:
The controller I have is not much better. It drifts alot too. It is suppose to be plus or minues .2 but mine seems to be plus or minus .4 :icon_frow .

I calibrated it weekly and have found it .4 off a couple times.
Is anyone having this prob with the controller as well? Who is using this controller with luck?

Thanks

jB

1 - 20 of 111 Posts