The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, people may feel that $47.20 is inexpensive for a needle valve, but I would like to find something closer to $30 if possible.

$47.20 is what the Fabco NV-55-18 costs directly from Fabco w/ UPS Ground Shipping.

Anyone know of a less expensive option that works, at least for a few months, that I can order in and have here in a week or less?

I'm in the process of handling multiple tanks for equipment so the less I can spend the better off I am at the moment. Once all the tanks are up and running it's going to be a lot easier to replace the needle valve I purchase now with a more expensive one, but with the costs of lights, etc... it all adds up really vast.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I know, people may feel that $47.20 is inexpensive for a needle valve, but I would like to find something closer to $30 if possible.

$47.20 is what the Fabco NV-55-18 costs directly from Fabco w/ UPS Ground Shipping.

Anyone know of a less expensive option that works, at least for a few months, that I can order in and have here in a week or less?

I'm in the process of handling multiple tanks for equipment so the less I can spend the better off I am at the moment. Once all the tanks are up and running it's going to be a lot easier to replace the needle valve I purchase now with a more expensive one, but with the costs of lights, etc... it all adds up really vast.

SMC air control valves.. "LIKE" this one but need the exact model #
SMC AS Air Flow Control Valve, PBT & Nickel Plated Brass, Elbow, Low Speed, Unified Thread Male X Push-to-Connect Fitting: Industrial Control Valves: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

as-1000 m3 I believe.

·
Registered
52 Posts

They have it a bit cheaper here with free shipping CO2 Regulator Parts | CO2 For Planted Tanks And Home Brewing. Fabco NV-55-18 Needle Valve

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That helps a little and definitely makes it more realistic.

I did wander through there "fittings" section and was surprised to not see a 1/4" NPT to 3/16" barb fitting though. Funny enough Fastenal has them (and has them in stock locally) for $0.76 each.

So, on that note, since nothing would probably ship until Monday anyways I think I'm going to call back one of the local Fabco distributors and see what they could get it for. If they toss it in on another order I might be able to get it for $40 or less.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Sort of...................

kevin, wait until you have experience with newer model SMC AS1000 series needle valve, you may have different opinion, :)

The one you talk about is the bigger needle stem, old and discontinued SMC AS1200.

it is about $25 retail, the SMC AS1000 series needle valve.
I believe the needle valve on ADA co2 system is the SMC AS2000 series, works well, and it will give you good idea how a current model of SMC AS1000 performs. The SMC AS1000 has lower flow control and precise than the SMC AS2000 series.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-selection-our-co2-pressurized-system-15.html

SMC AS1000 Series needle valve, Part number AS120?-*
Orifice: N/A
Cv: N/A (approximately at 2.83 SCFM at 10 turn, but the flow curve is concaved, at 4.5 turn is 0.71 SCFM compare to NV-55 which is 0.95+ SCFM at 4.5 turn.
owned
One could even argue it is better than the Fabco..............;)

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
So this one?

SMC AS1000-M3 speed controller, AS FLOW CONTROL***

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

most seem to use the 1200.. but the 1000 m3 should be better..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...change-needle-valve-my-aquatek-regulator.html

Problem is your fittings may be more than the valve.. These are *$7 .. one for each side..
Nickel Plated Brass Fitting 1/16" ID Hose Barb x M3 Thread Air Water Coupler
Amazon.com: M3 Male Thread to 3mm 3/25" Pneumatic Tube Hose Mini Barb Fittings 5 Pcs: Home Improvement

so it would end up costing $20 plus shipping,,s

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, that thread actually made it kind of confusing and maybe I'm thinking this out all the wrong way.

I want the Needle Valve inline on the tubing not on the solenoid. Since the solenoid appears to be 1/4 NPT I was thinking at 1/4 NPT to 3/16" Barb and using 3/16" hose, like most aquarium air hose, to connect from there.

So am I thinking about this the wrong way?

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Ok, that thread actually made it kind of confusing and maybe I'm thinking this out all the wrong way.

I want the Needle Valve inline on the tubing not on the solenoid. Since the solenoid appears to be 1/4 NPT I was thinking at 1/4 NPT to 3/16" Barb and using 3/16" hose, like most aquarium air hose, to connect from there.

So am I thinking about this the wrong way?
Links I posted were m3 to tubing..so in-line is the only option. Photo was to show various "styles" and types..
The whole smc valve thing is kind of confusing. Last time I looked they had a "low speed" series in m5.
But that aside.. the larger the fitting the 'coarser" the flow..but seems even those are "usable"..

another option.. tube only (well set up that way).. $23US..
Camozzi Advance CO2 Flow Controller Needle Valve | CO2Art.co.uk
Can't be positive but this is the US listings:
http://www.camozzi-usa.com/sites/de...fu-in-line-flow-control-valves/series-rfu.pdf
notice .. smaller the port generally smaller the orifice that is available..
rfu-452 M5 has the lowest cfm ..

RFO RFU difference is "directionality"..Suppose bidirectional is easiest.
http://www.bibus.at/fileadmin/product_data/camozzi/documents/ccc_serie_rfu_datasheet_en_v81.pdf
RFO3(x)2
RFU4(x)2

2's seem the only useable orifice..

RFO352-m5..

Just an example b4 getting back to smc............

to be honest.. not sure if the unidirectional ones will work..

m3 hose barbs pk of 6:
ASP Online Store: Pneumadyne M3 Hose Barbs
finally found the low speed series..
http://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/ASLowSpeed.pdf

AS1201FM
AS1301FM

fun w/ valves..

6 way CO2 System - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

SMC AS1000 series have smaller(better) flow rate at low turn range compare to Fabco NV-55.

small camozzi comparison chart:

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you are going to put the valve in-line, you could order the fabco NV-55 with 10-32 ports ($23.05) and then get 10-32 threaded hose barbs or compression fittings and remain under $40.00, while getting the same valve as the NV-55-18. Just a thought, hope it helps.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy cheap, cry twice
Buy expensive, cry once
You know I used to think this way a lot. Then I started having to buy the cheaper parts for a variety of things.

What I've found is high price does not always equal quality and inexpensive does not always mean cheaply made.

That is why I came looking for options and the SMC, providing I can figure out all the adapters, looks like a possible viable option.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Where it comes to tech or hardware my experience is; where something costs 50% of another more expensive option, it often doesn't even provide 50% of the quality, durability and ease of use.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I am confused and it's giving me a headache. lol

I would like to go with the SMC option as it seems like a good option. Especially when I'm going to have to put together multiple needle valves coming off the 20lb tank (planning to use it to run multiple tanks).

So I talked with Jeff a bit and narrowed it down "a little".

It looks like my best bets would be either:

AS1000-M3
AS1000-M5

or this new one:
NEW Inline Flow Controls

The problem I have now is fittings. I found an M5 to 5mm hose barb (slightly bigger than the 3/16" standard hose, but should fit) only coming from Honk Kong. I would rather not wait 30 to 60 days.

So, now I'm trying to figure out fittings.

Essentially I'm going from what I believe is a 1/4" NPT on the solenoid to a 3/16" hose barb. That I should be able to get at Fastenal.

If I stay at 3/16" now I need to get that M3 or M5 fitting to 3/16", or guide me to a different size hose that will work fittings.

That's where I'm at now. I'm still scouring other threads, but any help would be appreciated. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.