The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my pressurized setup running now for 2 or 3 months, and everything has been consistent, plant growth has been amazing, all that.
I recently switched tanks that the Co2 was going to, so new tank, new bubble count. Thing is, when I tried to adjust the BC from the needle valve, nothing really happened. If I get the valve to the point where it is almost closed, the BC will go down a little bit, but it's still up in the 5/sec or so range. The only way I'm getting it to go down is to adjust the working pressure of the regulator which I really don't want to have to do. I'd rather be able to adjust it via the NV so if I eventually add fauna to the tank that I can adjust it on a whim and most importantly, not make the whole stand shake when adjusting it (the co2 tank is held up by a holder I built into the stand)
When I got the post body kit, I did have to change out the tubing on one end but it was all put back together the same way it was taken out, so I don't see how this could have affected it.

For the record, I am using a Nupro (Swagelok) SS-SS2-A
Here is a picture of it, just for reference:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Have you checked for leaks where the tubing goes into the fitting and where the fitting screws onto the metering valve?

Can you blow the metering valve out with compressed air?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Why not adjust the regulator output pressure? You can adjust the bubble rate with a combination of output pressure and needle valve position. What is the output pressure you now have?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not at home right now but it is between 13 and 20psi. I don't think it's leaking as it's been running almost 3 months now and the BC doesn't change, I just don't want to have to be changing the working pressure to raise/lower the count as I'd assume that's not the best way to go...

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Hi rrrrramos,

I assume you loosened the locking nut before trying to adjust the needle valve? I'm just asking because sometimes I forget to loosen locking nuts before making adjustments.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When a needle valve suddenly refuses to reduce the flow through it the first thing to think about is a contaminant blocking the movement of the needle. You installed a new tank, making me wonder if you used teflon tape on any of the connections you made. Tiny bits of tape, or just about any particles will cause the problem you have. You could disconnect the CO2 from the aquarium and open the needle valve way open blasting CO2 through it to try to dislodge and remove such contaminants.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When a needle valve suddenly refuses to reduce the flow through it the first thing to think about is a contaminant blocking the movement of the needle. You installed a new tank, making me wonder if you used teflon tape on any of the connections you made. Tiny bits of tape, or just about any particles will cause the problem you have. You could disconnect the CO2 from the aquarium and open the needle valve way open blasting CO2 through it to try to dislodge and remove such contaminants.
I'm going to attempt this anyways, but I may have been misunderstood. Since getting the Co2 tank filled for the first time, this regulator has not been taken off or anything. It's only been two months so I have about a month or so left I believe. That's why I'm so confused as to why two months later I'd experience a problem instead of within days of setting it up...
Like I said, I'm currently having to adjust the working pressure to get the bubble count to where I want it, but this needle valve is supposed to be quite accurate and when the lowest I can get is one bubble every five seconds (I've read these can get as low as one every minute or so) I'm led to believe there is a problem or there will soon be a problem with it. If I'm wrong, and my needle valve just isn't what I thought it was then please correct me (and save me the $ on a new one). I'd just hate to down the road have it fail and cut off Co2 or put too much in at once ya know?
Thank you guys so far!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Hoppy, you're my new best friend. I disconnected it and all, opened the valve all the way up and sure enough a little piece of debris shot out the end. I'm may still get another one down the road, but it seems to be ok for now. Thank you for all the help!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Well Hoppy, you're my new best friend. I disconnected it and all, opened the valve all the way up and sure enough a little piece of debris shot out the end. I'm may still get another one down the road, but it seems to be ok for now. Thank you for all the help!
... Can you blow the metering valve out with compressed air?
Hey! This isn't fair!! I suggested it first. Compressed air in this case is the same thing as compressed CO2. I just didn't word it right.

I'm just kidding. :D

I'm glad that you found the culprit.

I take it that you don't want the valve now. Darkblade asked for it if you don't want it.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Hey! This isn't fair!! I suggested it first. Compressed air in this case is the same thing as compressed CO2. I just didn't word it right.

I'm just kidding. :D

I'm glad that you found the culprit.

I take it that you don't want the valve now. Darkblade asked for it if you don't want it.
I'll split the reward 50-50! Now we both have a half best friend.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts