The Planted Tank Forum banner

Needing Some Help with Cycling

1315 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Straight shooter
Hello, I'm fairly new to this hobby and having a little trouble with cycling my tank.

I have a 40 gallon breeder that is heavily planted and now has 6 white clouds.

The tank has been up and running for a little more than 2 and half weeks. I have been testing (API master kit) my water about every five days and I keep getting HIGH amounts of nitrite, well over 5.ppm. This is in addition to having 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrates.
When I first got a huge nitrite spike I did a 50% water change and the results diminished to .5ppm. The second time I only did a 20% water change and the following results diminished again.
I had 24 white clouds but because of the huge nitrite spikes I now have 6.

Am I missing something, or is my method flawed, or do I just have to be a little more patient? I'm just confused because of the relationship between the amount of Ammonia (0) and Nitrate (0) in regards to the high amount of Nitrite.
Some insight or help would be really appreciated.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,572 Posts
With fishes in the tank, every other day small feeding (once), and every other day 25 % water change with dechlorinator such as Prime,the tank will finish maturing.
Couple more week's I expect.
Adding some more plant's and or some filter material from already established tank can help.
Damage has been done to fishes, so I would just ride it out rather than consider taking damaged fishes out of the tank or returning them.
Your idea of heavily planted tank and mine may differ, but even with heavily planted tank ..two dozen small fishes added to new tank would be a dozen too many IMHO

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.