The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

i just got myself an oto... i bought one instead of 3 (i know they like to be in groups) b/c mine's only a 2.5G and i AM afraid that the poor guy's gonna starve...

i just noticed that after about 2 hrs of having him in my tank... he's cleaned off a lot of diatom (it gets stuck to the silicon)? now my problem is... how can i make sure he continues to get enough to eat? boil some veggies and chuck in the tank for 2 hrs? i have a betta in there with him (nipped the poor oto 2x and then he started to ignore him, haha)

thanks for the help =) and i've read that they dun like thread algae? i have white 'tuff-like' algae... will he clean that too? thanks =)

·
Registered
362 Posts
if you have a window with good sun, you can place a jar or container with water and some ferts along with a few flat rock. rotate the rocks through your tank after they start to grow algea.

Cheers, Whitepine

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
whitepine!!! u are a genius, haha!!!. sunning aint gonna be an issue since i have south-facing window that gets full sun like 5-6 hrs of direct sun a day, haha!

the rocks and stuff... anythink i should know? riverstones, slate, roadside stones??

for the fertilizer; just flourish? and some aged tap water?

will algae grow in cold water? winter = chilly water by windowsill

but then again... his survival is even a bigger issue... i keep reading that they die easily =(

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah i've been succefull in every fish I've had since I got back into the hobbie but these otos are pretty delicate for algea eating fishes. I've bought 8 or so and only 4 are left, and these were not bought at the same time either.

·
Registered
562 Posts
your betta will not eat a sinking algae wafer! *rolls eyes* Or, at least all MY bettas look at them in disgust... 'course, the otos won't touch 'em either... I'd go with the growing algae on rocks thing. it's always worked for me.

·
Registered
786 Posts
my otos (i have affinis and 'niger') love algae wafers, zucchini, sweet potato, shrimp tabs and dying BBA after I've squirted with Excel. They will only eat soft algaes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm well i'm gonna try some fruits today since i have a few laying around. maybe a small piece of banana on a fork for both my betta and my oto. hopefully he likes it, the otto i have is quite young, he's 2.5-3cm max lengthwise.

and yes, i can tell he likes the soft algae... he's cleared off almost every bit of algae in my tank except for a few diatoms here and there, haha... and i only have 1...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
blanched zucchini works well along with cucumber.

I don't feed mine, they gets lots of algae to feed on and whatever foods that the fish miss. If I see that their tummies aren't fat though I throw an algae wafer or NLS H20 tablet for them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If there is absolutely no algae in the tank then throw in a small broken piece of an algae wafer.... just hope the betta doesnt eat it first.
Just a word of caution, otos only eat a limited range of algae. Basically brown diatom algae is going to be best for them, and I believe they can feed off of dust algae also. Algae such as thread, BGA, BBA, GSA aren't going to be touched by the otos, even if there's nothing else in the tank.

As stated above, blanched cucumber/zucchini is a good idea, as well as algae tablets. If you leave an algae tablet in for more than 3-4 hours though (maybe even less in a tank that size), then you're going to end up with a dead oto with a busted gut, so never try to add too much and leave it in too long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i guess i'll hafta go and see if i can get my hands on a cucumber or zucchini. i dun have those lying around the house... hmm... well that guy has definitely cleared off all the algae i have in my tank. my tank is quite small so ya...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts