The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running 55G Low tech and low light planted tank. About 50 percent planted with Crypts, Anubias, Java Ferns, Vals, Melon Sword, Dwarf Sag, and two Dwarf Lilies. Running a single Fluval AquaSky light set at 90% white, 70% red, 60% green, and 20% blue. Been dosing Seachem Excel, Potash, Phosphorus, and Easy Green. Plants were doing great for awhile then I noticed my Dwarf Lilies diminishing and now struggling. My red melon sword grows new leaves pretty regularly, but never gained any height, and leaves look a little twisted. The vals are monsters and are doing fine as well as the crypts, and anubias, but my Java ferns were turning yellow and brown and melting. I started adding phosphorus to keep the SGA under control. At one point I really started looking into my tank water make up, I have hard water up here where I live it's border line liquid rock. With my Stocking my Nitrates are pretty much at a constant 30-40 PPMs, I feed once a week but it's a hefty feeding so my Phosphorus rises to 5-7 PPMs and takes about five days to get down to around 2 PPMs, can't really measure the Potassium. I was doing Easy Green 3 times a week at 5 pumps each time. I stopped dosing Phosphorus (because I think I was overdosing when I was already getting a good amount of it thru feedings) and Easy Green (because I didn't want to add more phosphorus plus more nitrates which I mentioned earlier are always there at 30-40 PPms) 2 weeks ago. Seems like the leaves on the Red Melon Sword look healthier but still short, the Anubias looks like it woke up, and the Java Fern look like they not browning as much, but my Dwarf Lillie still look like crap. The GSA looks like it's taking off as well. I should be adding more micros but don't want to add to much Cu (have copper pipes in the house) because I have Amano shrimp and snails in the tank. For the Fertilizer Gurus what would a good micro mix for what I'm splaining to yous.:smile2:

·
Registered
500 Posts
My take...

It's rarely micros. Especially in low tech setups.

And the Easy Green has you covered on that. Just no need to start out at 3x/week dosing! You work up to that. Aq Co- Op does recommend 1x/wk. :)

Honestly you shouldn't need anything but the Easy Green.

And is Excel for Carbon or algae control?

If you do want to look into ferts. Take a look at Nilocg Thrive S. Low nitrates. Shrimp friendly. I use it on my shrimp tank but it's not just a micro.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My take...

It's rarely micros. Especially in low tech setups.

And the Easy Green has you covered on that. Just no need to start out at 3x/week dosing! You work up to that. Aq Co- Op does recommend 1x/wk. :)

Honestly you shouldn't need anything but the Easy Green.

And is Excel for Carbon or algae control?

If you do want to look into ferts. Take a look at Nilocg Thrive S. Low nitrates. Shrimp friendly. I use it on my shrimp tank but it's not just a micro.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Excel is for Algae control, doesn't do much for GSA though. Trying to have enough Phosphorus to keep GSA under control. Can you od with Phosphorus? I did Switch back to dosing Easy Green once a week recently. Maybe I should try the NilocG Thrive S I know it has higher concentrations of everything than Easy Green.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've had good luck using the EI low light/weekly regimen from Rotalbutterfly in my low tech tank. I dose dry ferts though.

Reactions: pauld738 and Boostr

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm sure there is an upper limit to Phosphates but I have seen a few posts that seem to say that high Phosphates aren't an issue. Of course they never mentioned levels as high as you are stating. :)

Here's a link to one of those threads. It's an interesting read and not long so it won't take forever to sift through it, lol.

https://barrreport.com/threads/does-too-much-phosphate-cause-algae.3316/

I whole heartily agree with Tom's last post. Not sure if your 50% plant coverage is the cause of the GSA or not but something to keep in mind?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts