The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my tank 90 gallon with corner over flow and sump(reef ready tank), 4 65 watt cf lights(2 6500k and 2 1000k) at 7 hours a day.
Substrate is a mix of aquarium gravel, eco complete and play sand with root tabs.
Plants : whisteria, dwarf sag, giant vals, amazon sword, tiger lotus, anubias nana and apogeton, java moss and stargrass (gift from friend).
Fish: 10 rainbows, 10 black skirt tetras, 3 south american puffers, albino bushynose pleco, red tetra, glowlite tetra, 2 nirite snails and mix of pond and ramshorn.

I would like to take it to next level, ei dosing with pressurized co2. I read through all co2 stickies, and im looking to buy whole kit. Probably red sea with reactor, mainly because im not sure if I could do a rex griggs diffuser due to the perforated hoses? I know it will require sealing the sump, but I read its possible. Any way sorry for the long post and crappy cell phone pictures, you're help will be appreciated. Any opinions welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Well if you wanted, you could always just add a small pump into your sump and have an inline diffuser hook up to it, and have that run into your aquarium. This is an idea I have been beating around to use for my 180.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if you wanted, you could always just add a small pump into your sump and have an inline diffuser hook up to it, and have that run into your aquarium. This is an idea I have been beating around to use for my 180.
Can you give me more info or point me to your thread? Im looking for most effective way to dissolve co since tank has a sump.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have not see a thread on it honestly, just an idea that popped into my head while I was planning my 180 gallon aquarium. Basically you will just get a water pump like this:

and place that inside your sump in the water, then attach a length of tubing that will reach from your sump to the inside of your aquarium. Then you want to attach some sort of inlet sprayer on the end of the hose that will be going into the aquarium, this will help hold the tube inside the aquarium and also help mix the water, there all kinds of replacement sprayers out there that you can buy, or you can make one out of PVC pipe with ease, just remember if you make one out of pvc pipe try and avoid 90 degree turns, this will greatly reduce the output flow of your pump, but if the pump is too strong add a few elbows or you can add a ball valve to adjust the flow manually.

Then somewhere in the tube going from the pump to your aquarium you will make a cut and add your inline diffuser. The most popular one if from GLA.

Then simply hook your co2 hose up to your inline diffuser and turn the system on. I have read online that, that diffuser can make some noise, but if you fill it with water, it will quite it down a lot. I hope this helps, like I said this it just an idea I have had, I haven't seen anyone else use something like this before, maybe it will catch on and be the Aquarist Method of Co2 injection in sump aquariums! If this is still kind of unclear I can draw something up and post it but be warned!! I am not an artist by no means, nor do I claim to be lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts