The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really! need to get these little baby cories out of my tank, The nirAtes are rising too fast and too much. I have limited ammonts of time to change the water due to the fact that it is a daycare facility and I am killing them by keeping them. Thus, I must sell them. However i don't wanna give them to a local pet store. petsmart and petco don't give a damn and the "good" LFS gets a lot of fish noobs and my babies would be killed off. Thus I must sell them.

I have about 10-20 left out of probably about 30. They are about a half inch long and come from a big fat mother and nice looking father. I will sell them for $1.00 each to anyone that wants them. I would prefer If they would be picked up BUT I will ship them is the buyer pays for the materials.

Can someone please tell me how to ship fish?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
In this kind of weather and considering you're on the east coast, you will have to either ship with a heat pack and risk priority mail, or ship with a heat pack via express mail.

Shipping express mail would probably negate any savings potential buyers would get from buying from you.

With that said,

Get a priority mail box. Line all the walls with styrofoam. Get a heat pack, wrap it up in newspaper so it doesn't get *too* hot. Get Kordon breather bags, pack your cories in there with some tank water. Seal it off with a good amount of air. Oxygen would be better. Line the inside of the box with newspaper or packing peanuts until the heat pack and bag of fish are resonably well-secured. Don't forget the lid to the styrofoam "box". Tape it up, send it out.

Ordering Kordon breather bags will require you to order in bulk unless you're getting it from someone on the forums...or can you order them say 5 or 10 at a time? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Priority will run you ~$4.05 for up to 1lb, $6.10 for 2lbs. Use the flat-rate box for anything over that. I believe it's $8.10.

USPS Express runs about $30.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dang. I was just in Annapolis this past weekend. I could have helped you ship them (including some to my own house!).

Nick has it right. Breather bags are my preferred method, too.

As for your tank...is it planted? Maybe get some fast growers/floaters in there. The dreaded duckweed would be good. Egeria or riccia would be good, too. This would definitely give you some more time to work.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I will take them....any way to get them here?
I am not that far from you

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'd buy them from you if we lived closer together. I wouldn't want to risk shipping priority and express would be more than I'd be willing to pay. Those are neat fish - congrats!

·
Registered
517 Posts
i really want these cories! sucks i'm in california. i already have 2 baby ones of the same size that i got from a LFS and i like em alot. albino's bore me and my emerald ones got really big and fat really fast. but the pepper ones are cute. they all get along well but i'd like for my pepper ones to have more of their own kind *sigh*

·
Registered
205 Posts
One thing you have to remember with cories or catfish in general is that they have spines in their fins and will puncture the bags easily. Breather bags are thin and aren't suppose to be double bagged.

What I have always done when shipping cories is get as thick of bags as you can ( usually get them from your LFS for free or really cheap if you only need a few, if not you can order them from aquabid.com ) and bag buddies are your friend it helps detoxify the build of ammonia and has a slight sedative to "calm" the fish without harming them and adds oxygen to the water as well.

Anyways, what you want to do is put about 5 fish tops in a bag with just a bit more water to cover the fish when tilted on its side ( the bag ) as the more open air in the bag ='s more air oxygen in the bag and less weight in ( the bag buddies will take care of the pollutants for the most part ).

Tie off the bag and I just knot the bag but if your not comfortable doing that then use a rubber band, cut off the extra top of the bag if you wish ( I do ) and then put the bag into another bag top first so the knot is on the bottom of the second bag. This ensures you don't have squared corners for the fish to get caught in and a catfish jammed in a corner is bad since it can puncture a bag rather easy. If you want to be extra careful you can triple bag them I have done this with some pleco's before just in case.

Insulate the box like stated above, heat pack and ship like stated above. I have shipped cories and other fish from PA to WA and PA to FL a few times without any problems. I learned this method from a well known Betta breeder that use to breed cories as back in the day and I have had great success and I have received fish packed in the same manner with no problems.

Sorry for the long post and good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would think you could go to a meeting of your local fish society and unload them. Someone is bound to want them.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
60 miles an hour. 4 hours. 240 miles there, 240 miles back. That's 480 miles total. Estimating 25 miles a gallon, that's about 19 gallons of gas. The national average gas price for regular fuel is $2.20. A total of ~$42 in gas.

Please tell me that you're gonna buy all of them if you make that drive! =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts