The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know how I can treat a banjo cat that has spots where the skin is missing?
Because of their lazy nature they are pretty much abused by the snails, and one of them has a patch where they ripped off the skin of the poor guy.
Its just the surface that is ripped, the black skin of it, it very superficial.

How can I treat it?

Here is a bad picture of it:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Use either Melafix or salt to treat the wounds. I'd go with the salt to prevent development of fungus. The wounds seem bad enough already.

I'd also carry out daily water changes to ensure the fast recovery of its wounds.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the sugestions.
About the salt, what kind of concentration should it be?
I will set up a small melafix tank as well.

Thx.

·
Registered
234 Posts
uhh i usually use 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons , now you cant used salt in a planted tank but , i usually start off with 1 for 10 then after awhile i go 1 for 5 ...... i just had that in one of the tanks at work ..... i figured someone took the poor little black moor out and burned it with a cigerette ! lol :) thats what it looks like atleast.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can try a salt bath by mixing as much water softener salt as you can in a container of tank water. Put the fish in (the fish will not like it) for about 1 minute or less, then return it to the tank. You may have to do this again a few days later but improvement of the skin should start to show fairly soon.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The stuff in the big bags at the grocery store for your water softener. It's only a few $$ per 50-lb bag. Solar salt is the brand name I use here but as long as it's pure salt it's OK.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I use salt, I use salt called pickling salt. On the package it says, 'Salt only. Nothing added.' I can also suggest Stress-Coat. I love this stuff and think it works really well. What it says it does is replace the slime coating on the fishes skin. Hope that helps.

P.S. I have found Stress-Coat to be fine in a planted tank and it will not hurt the other fish.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Heres an update.

Its not good.

I put the poor guy in a small hospital tank and I have been doing a melafix + pimafix treatment.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem to provide any positive results.
The patch of rotten skin has grown just a bit, and I also noticed a hole in the white spot on the picture above.
It is a small hole but looking close enough you can see the guts and it is thru the bone??? I dont understand.

Does anyone have any other sugestions on what else can be done to try to save him?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts