The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move my tank, I am using MGOCPM, and cap of the aquarium plants dot com substrate, it works great so far for me, but moving tank too another room. I am not strong like bull, and don't have any friends that are strong like bull to lift tank with MGOCPM and cap in it still, so how do I empty it and not make a total mess of my substrate?:icon_roll :fish1:

Thanks

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Do you have any PVC pipe laying around? Cut a number of lengths and use them for rollers. Or put heavy duty furniture movers under the corners of the stand. Have somebody shove under whatever you decide to try as you lift one end of the tank. Give instructions to NOT under any circumstances put any body part under the stand - use a pusher of some sort if need be.

Take the doors off and make movers out of some rope and PVC for handles.

If you make a hole in the substrate at one end, put a bottomless cup [another bit of that PVC maybe?] in there and siphon out most of the water you may be strong enough to move the tank on your own. Putting something under the other end of the tank would help get more water out as well.

I could shift my 180 acrylic with super heavy home made stand without substrate but once it was in I couldn't budge the tank. I did forget about using the rope/PVC movers though.

That written but really it is safer to remove the substrate from a large tank. Any twisting of the stand and your tank may bust a seam. You can attempt to skim most of the topper and rinse it by partly filling and dumping the tank once you have the tank set up in its new location. It doesn't really matter if there is topper mixed with the soil so just scoop the rest out.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Jim - I've syphoned a few sand Caps off so far leaving the MTS underneath untouched. I also syphoned off some MTS base in one tank.

If you just go slow and basically shave it of in layers as you syphon the tank will stay pretty clean and you not get your layers mixed. You may need to refill the tank 2 or 3 times. It does take a while but keeping the tank clean and not mixing the base & cap is worth it, I think.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. It 125, i need to move the tank about 10 feet, straight shot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts