The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need to refill bubble counter after 1 month?

904 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Kubla
When I set this GLA system up a month ago, I tried to gather as much info about how to set it up as possible. When it came to the bubble counter, I had read that some were using mineral oil or other liquids besides water. Since it was my first time, I decided to go straight RO.

It has been just a month and it has already gone from 3/4 to almost 1/4 now. I don't know if this is normal or not but I'm looking for some advice on two fronts. First, what's the best way to refill the liquid? Should I just unscrew the top? I know there is a lot of pressure in there. I just don't want to damage anything if that's incorrect. Secondly, is anyone using anything besides water? What are you using and how much of a mess is it?

Thank you!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Normal for mine too. I just unscrew the top. I use water.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I just unscrew the top slightly to vent it and let the water from the reactor push back in and fill it.
I just unscrew the top slightly to vent it and let the water from the reactor push back in and fill it.
So you don't have a check valve above your bubble counter?

I just leave mine empty now. It evaporates too quickly.
I just leave mine empty now. It evaporates too quickly.
So how do you measure how much Co2 is entering your tank?

Bump: So is there anyone using anything other than oil? Just wondering if it would save the hassle of refilling all the time
So how do you measure how much Co2 is entering your tank?

Bump: So is there anyone using anything other than oil? Just wondering if it would save the hassle of refilling all the time
My CO2 is monitored with a reefkeeper controller. It measures and turns on/off the CO2 as needed. I have a drop checker for a quick visual check. Once it is set, it really doesn't change.
Glycerin is a very common option. Or just go with Distilled Water(to avaoid mineral deposit)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
So you don't have a check valve above your bubble counter?

No, it's between the bubble counter and the needle valve. Maybe I have it in the wrong spot but I'm not worried about the bubble counter getting water in it.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.