The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start trading/selling the extra plants from my aquarium. I hate just putting a good plant in my compost pile.

Problem is...I don't know what I'm doing(mainly packaging for shipping). I will probably have some stuff in the next few weeks. Are GLAD ziplocks good enough to send in?

What kind of shipping should I use?

I've never bought or sold aquaium stuff over the internet or through the mail.

Are there any previous posts that address these issues? i searched real quick and didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Get some priority mail boxes from the post office, you can order them free online (http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...01&categoryId=13354&productId=11635&langId=-1) and they will drop them at your door. Go to WalMart, get packing tape, quart size zip lock bags and some morning glory cluster stuff (make sure you are getting the batting not the stuffing). Wrap plants in cluster stuff (like rolling a huge joint), place wrapped plants in zip lock bag with some air (not atomicflatulence) but no water (water will turn plants into mush, it is very destructive flying around in a bag), place bag in box, secure bag(s) in box (I remove or add air (not atomicflatulence) to the bags until they fit snugly) so they do not move around in route. If you have a scale, the best way to address package is through paypal ship or USPS click n ship, USPS will even pick the package up if you have affixed postage, i.e., paypal ship, click n ship, a bunch of stamps, etc. It is pretty easy once you get a little organized, keep all your packing stuff in a box so it is handy and unavailable to convenience grabbers......DC

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Wrapping plants in filter floss not paper towels always work the best. I'm sure many people can attest to my shipping method.
I am one of those. I've recieved plants several times from Ian, always in exceptional condition. When you ship dry, I've noticed plants will last a couple more days. I had a bag of Toninas/Erios last about 5 days in perfect health.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I havent shipped quote a ton yet but here are my tips...

1. Use cheap polyfil from Wally world to wrap the plants in.
2. place in appropriate size plastic ziploc bag and label with plant name.
3. Squirt a little bit of tank water in for moisture(not too much though)
4. Wrap in newspaper
5. Place package in shipping envelope or box
6. Snug up the rest of the area with crumpled newspaper. Add heat/cold pack if necessary
7. Seal box and affix shipping label.

You can bag up plants and put them in the refridgerator for a day or two if the plants are especially fragile. This will start the plant into dormancy mode and they will ship a little better. (Not too cold though!)

ALWAYS ship priority unless its moss.(Even some delicate mosses should be shipped priority)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You can bag up plants and put them in the refridgerator for a day or two if the plants are especially fragile. This will start the plant into dormancy mode and they will ship a little better. (Not too cold though!)
[\QUOTE]

I don't think the refridgerator is a good idea. I know plants will keep for a longer time if out of water in a refridgerator. But the only reason for that is because it is cooler so it slows down the metabolic process (your so called dormancy mode). This will not continue if the plants are taken out of the fridge. Placing a plant in the fridge will do nothing for shipping plants. It will just allow it one more day out of water. Albeit a "slow" day.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ok, i shipped my 3rd plant pack yesterday, so my suggestions may not be as good as others.
I wrap the plants in paper towels(not too many per paper towel).
Then put them in a gallon size Zlock bag.
then put them in the priority mail box(can be ordered online) with some styro peanuts, newspaper, or whatever you think is a good packing material.
then tape it up, take it to the PO and pay shipping.

·
Registered
803 Posts
DON'T use those "One Zip" bags ~ the kinds with the slider thing on top like a zipper. Those leak and the PO usually won't deliver a package that's leaking (can't blame 'em LOL!). Use the regular old-fashioned ziploc kind that close tight all the way across. Glad are fine, so long as they're not the "zipper" type.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only plants that I have received damaged or dead have been wrapped in paper towels. I'm too nice to ask for replacements, but it sure did piss me off. Polyfil does work the best since it immobilizes and supports at the same time.

For the guy with the crypt question, I usually ship mine damp in a ziploc back with no polyfil (though I'm sure it would be fine, maybe better). I have had no problems whatsoever. Crypt melting usually comes when the plants try to acclimate to a new tank. In fact I shut one of my tanks down the other month and put all of the crypts into my main tank and they all melted (with new nice leaves coming up of course). Both tanks had the same water source and same feeding levels, but one tank had slightly different lighting. it made all the difference I guess.

cheers

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
HTML:
(not atomicflatulence)
Somebody finally understood my name. There is some intelligence on this planet.
LOL, I am quite sure not too many understand what a convenience grabber is.....DC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.