The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching my 50 gallon tanks lights from two 18" single bulbs to a 4ft double. My fish store carries the "Glo" bulbs. I just wanted some suggestions on what two bulbs I should get. They have

Flora-Glo - 2800K
Sun-Glo - 4200K
Life-Glo - 6700K
Aqua-Glo - 18000K
Power-Glo - 18000K

So out of these bulbs which two would be best for a planted tank? Two of the same or two different bulbs? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
Anna

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I can't help you with those Glo bulbs, but I might be able to save you a little money.

If your 4" fixture is made by All-Glass, it comes with either GE 9325K bulbs or 8000K bulbs. Both of these bulbs work well for planted aquariums.
older 9325K: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8066+3810&pcatid=3810
newer 8000K: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/fluorescent-lamps-and-starters.htm

If it is made by Perfecto (Marineland), I don't know the K value of the bulb. I only know that it is a 40w T-10 bulb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the light fixture cheap at a flea market, so no bulbs. It is a newer fixture, Aqueon. The bulbs at my LFS aren't that much, cheaper then ordering online after adding in shipping.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both for your help. I was just looking at my current lights and I have a life-glo on one side and the plants seem to bend torwads that light as opposed to the other light(I'm not sure what kind of light that one is). You really think that the power glo would be better than the flora glo?

·
Registered
399 Posts
For growing plants, the Aqua-Glo has the best spectrum graph out of those bulbs you listed. So my suggestion is either 2 Aqua-Glo if they look good to you on your tank, or one Aqua-Glo and one Power-Glo or Life-Glo. Whichever looks better to you.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts