The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to break down and sterilize my 29g after a bout with fungus. I plan to redo the tank from a bare-bottom tank to a modestly planted tank for my angelfish who is aggressive. I'm thinking about draining and cleaning the tank, refilling with a strong bleach water solution, letting it run for a couple of days, draining, and then setting up. Is this a good plan, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Doesn't have to be a strong bleach solution. I would look up what is enough bleach to sterilize and go with that. Then I would fill it back up with a double dose of Prime and let sit then empty and it will be ready to use.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It likely doesn't take more than 12 hours, even if you are trying to kill things like snails which haveducked into their shells, so one might cut that down if it works better. The bleach and chlorine will start to gass off almost immediately so going way long may not do all that much for you that the first 10-12 hours did not do.
How strong is always a question but when I look at the what the chlorine is doing, I see no firm answer for amount.
The chlorine will react with any organicstuff in the tank and that includes all kinds of things like dirt, fungus algae and anything living like snails and eggs. So how much you need to kill all the things you want kills has to depend partly on how much gunk there is in the tank for the chlorine to react with!
So my thinking is that we want enough to do the job fully. Say if there were a "standard" amount but you had a tank with a huge bunch of organics like plants of algae. Logic says that if you use too small an amount, it might react with the plants and not have enough left to cut into the snail shell muscles to kill them!
So I just look at how cheap a jug of plain old unscented, uncolored bleach is and go for a half cup or so. My only requirement when using strong is that I DO have to watch not to pour it out in the yard in the grass!!
I put it down the drain where I just know I'm putting lots of organics that need killed!

Rather than do the Prime, I often just drain the bleach water and letit all dry to let the chlorine gas off and save the Prime. Nice thing about chlorine is that it DOES gas off. That's why we get the smell when we go around a pool!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It likely doesn't take more than 12 hours, even if you are trying to kill things like snails which haveducked into their shells, so one might cut that down if it works better. The bleach and chlorine will start to gass off almost immediately so going way long may not do all that much for you that the first 10-12 hours did not do.
How strong is always a question but when I look at the what the chlorine is doing, I see no firm answer for amount.
The chlorine will react with any organicstuff in the tank and that includes all kinds of things like dirt, fungus algae and anything living like snails and eggs. So how much you need to kill all the things you want kills has to depend partly on how much gunk there is in the tank for the chlorine to react with!
So my thinking is that we want enough to do the job fully. Say if there were a "standard" amount but you had a tank with a huge bunch of organics like plants of algae. Logic says that if you use too small an amount, it might react with the plants and not have enough left to cut into the snail shell muscles to kill them!
So I just look at how cheap a jug of plain old unscented, uncolored bleach is and go for a half cup or so. My only requirement when using strong is that I DO have to watch not to pour it out in the yard in the grass!!
I put it down the drain where I just know I'm putting lots of organics that need killed!

Rather than do the Prime, I often just drain the bleach water and letit all dry to let the chlorine gas off and save the Prime. Nice thing about chlorine is that it DOES gas off. That's why we get the smell when we go around a pool!
It's going to be a month or two before I restock it. I'm going to add a substrate and plant first, soI should be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts